do they need water outside when free-ranging?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NuthatchKnollChickens, Jul 29, 2008.

1. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    My chickens have a good-sized coop with attached run, but we also let them out during the day to free range, which they love. Their food and water is in their coop. Obviously, they are eating all kinds of vegetation and bugs and whatnot when they are out, but I don't have a waterer out there for them anywhere. The door to their run is open so they can easily get back inside whenever they like but they don't tend to go back in until they are ready to roost in the evening. Would it be a good idea to put a waterer outside somewhere for them, or am I worrying too much?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Always have fresh, clean water outside for free ranging chickens! [​IMG] Having it will help keep your coop clean!

...and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I put water in the run and their favorite place to sunbathe also refill on really hot days. Welcome to BYC!! Be careful it's addicting.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Mine free range during the day and I have several waterers in the yard for them. They seem to really appreciate them.

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    If they get dehydrated, egg production will drop, so put fresh water out thoughout your yard. They tend to hide in the shade in hot sunny days and might not want to go back to the coop to get their water.

6. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Okay - thanks everyone! I'll pick them up a couple new waterers today.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just have a bowl out in the yard for the chickens & cats. No need to buy a fancy waterer for the yard. Coop is a different story because the water needs to stay in a small area.

If you have chicks, put marbles in the water bowl to prevent drowning deaths.

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    On really hot days add some ice cubes to the yard waterers. They love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by