do they really need a ramp?

I personally have a 4x8 foot print coop with 3 levels inside toughly each level being about 2 ft high. I have no ramps going from one level to the other. For some odd reason I have a ramp leading from the run into the coop about one 16 inches high.

Breed and age of bird our governing factors. I have sex link birds. They need the ramp to get into the coop when they were young and when they were old enough to lay they could manage getting from the ground level up to the nest boxes and into the roost with no problem. That is what works for me.

I use a ramp, but the only reason I have it is for my silkies (mine have a hard time even flying 8 inches).

The breeds you have should dictate how high the coop is raised and whether or not you choose to use a ramp. Usually the biggest issue I have heard and read about is not entering the coop, but leaving. If you have a flightless bird they can sometimes injure their legs and feet by falling 8''-12'' (depending on the breed, of course).

Since I haven't cut a hole in the wall of the shed yet to install said pop door, I'm going to raise it up a few inches from the inside to keep the bedding in more or less as per suggestions here. It'll still be a low door though, cause at the back of the shed the floor is almost level with the ground, and that's where the door is going to be. I think I like the rock or brick idea. I've got lots of rocks around!

4 the birds, I can tell that your goats appreciate the pop door entry shelter especially! (don't you just love goats??)
Bricks will work fine and you are smart to raise the door up a bit to keep bedding inside. The goats are fun and very inquisitive! Building the coop inside the goat pen was a challenge since they were continually grabbing tools (even off my belt) and nipping at the boards. My coop and run pretty much has to be a fortress to keep the goats from taking it apart piece by piece.
caf.gif

For a height of 4-6 inches, you won't need a ramp. The chickens will hop in and out, no matter the breed or size. With regards to the bedding, you may want to raise the door higher still. 4" doesn't allow for much on the inside, because you'll want at least 2" between the top of the bedding and the pop door.

In my experience, bantams run through the door like it doesn't exist (especially if there's a cockerel hot on their tail). The LF walk through and jump into the coop with a "ta-daa!" air about them.

For a height of 4-6 inches, you won't need a ramp. The chickens will hop in and out, no matter the breed or size. With regards to the bedding, you may want to raise the door higher still. 4" doesn't allow for much on the inside, because you'll want at least 2" between the top of the bedding and the pop door. 

X2

I went up 8" in case I wanted to try deep litter and they don't need a step at all. Outside is another story but that's because the coop is on 2' legs.

here's the door all set up! It's a bit more than 8 inches off the floor on the inside. some litter may go out in the winter but I think it will be mostly fine. I may need to put a second rock as a step for chicks when they get out to the coop, but the two buff orpingtons have no trouble. I'm pretty sure they don't even really need the step
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom