Do Turkeys Kill Snakes?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nddaddy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nddaddy

nddaddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    We just bought some land (3 acres). In part of clearing it off, there is a pond with water moccasins in it.

I'd like to keep the pond to keep ducks as well.

My question is will turkeys kill the snakes?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I was told chickens will kill snakes too ! ( If they are small snakes). Depends on what kind of snakes. some snakes will eat chickens and turkeys.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Turkey hens (particularly those with poults) will, more often than not, clue their charges on how to handle concentrated sources of protein at the earliest opportunity. Turkey hens, in general, are usually the first of the flock to ID aerial preds (and actively harass those that light on branches too close to flock) and the most persistent in trying to finish off (and eat) serpents of any size (the more hens available, the more the scene looks like a `raptor rally' from Jurassic Park).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/671185/turkey-hens-and-snakes-pic-heavy

4. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    I would recommend clearing up any weeds or grass close to the pond and just in general making it less hospitable to moccasins - especially before getting ducks.

5. nddaddy

nddaddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Hi, I'm not quite familiar with turkeys just yet, but it's one I'm interested in keep as well. A couple questions.

1) Do all turkey hens (regardless of breed) seem to do this? What breed do you have?
    2) Which turkey breeds don't fly? Or would we have to clip their wings if we're going to free range and such.

Thanks! Still trying to navigate this whole new world.

6. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    First of all, chickens and turkeys will kill and eat little snakes, but water moccasins are very venomous and can easily kill any bird. Also the moccasins swim very well and will drown a turkey as turkeys can't swim. Ducks will be eaten by the snakes, too. I agree with Scottingitup about clearing the area around the pond, but if it were me, I would fence in some hogs as they will clean up just about any snakes. Rattlers don't have a chance with them. I bought a lake house once, that had that exact problem with snakes and that is how they cleared the rattlers up, nests and all. Come to think of it that lake had moccasins, too, and still have them to my knowledge, so you might have to cover the pond to get rid of the Moccasins. If you get rid of the snakes, then you can always re-dig the pond ! Good Luck ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by