Do Turkeys Kill Snakes?

nddaddy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
We just bought some land (3 acres). In part of clearing it off, there is a pond with water moccasins in it.

I'd like to keep the pond to keep ducks as well.

My question is will turkeys kill the snakes?

Turkey hens (particularly those with poults) will, more often than not, clue their charges on how to handle concentrated sources of protein at the earliest opportunity. Turkey hens, in general, are usually the first of the flock to ID aerial preds (and actively harass those that light on branches too close to flock) and the most persistent in trying to finish off (and eat) serpents of any size (the more hens available, the more the scene looks like a `raptor rally' from Jurassic Park).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/671185/turkey-hens-and-snakes-pic-heavy

Turkey hens (particularly those with poults) will, more often than not, clue their charges on how to handle concentrated sources of protein at the earliest opportunity. Turkey hens, in general, are usually the first of the flock to ID aerial preds (and actively harass those that light on branches too close to flock) and the most persistent in trying to finish off (and eat) serpents of any size (the more hens available, the more the scene looks like a `raptor rally' from Jurassic Park).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/671185/turkey-hens-and-snakes-pic-heavy
Hi, I'm not quite familiar with turkeys just yet, but it's one I'm interested in keep as well. A couple questions.

1) Do all turkey hens (regardless of breed) seem to do this? What breed do you have?
2) Which turkey breeds don't fly? Or would we have to clip their wings if we're going to free range and such.

Thanks! Still trying to navigate this whole new world.

First of all, chickens and turkeys will kill and eat little snakes, but water moccasins are very venomous and can easily kill any bird. Also the moccasins swim very well and will drown a turkey as turkeys can't swim. Ducks will be eaten by the snakes, too. I agree with Scottingitup about clearing the area around the pond, but if it were me, I would fence in some hogs as they will clean up just about any snakes. Rattlers don't have a chance with them. I bought a lake house once, that had that exact problem with snakes and that is how they cleared the rattlers up, nests and all. Come to think of it that lake had moccasins, too, and still have them to my knowledge, so you might have to cover the pond to get rid of the Moccasins. If you get rid of the snakes, then you can always re-dig the pond ! Good Luck !
hmm.png

I intervened and assume this would have ended badly for the turkey, but this happened today. https://photos.app.goo.gl/98YpGWjRfUGuBmpz8
It may have ended badly for either one. Turkeys have survived venomous snake attacks and in other cases snakes have not survived turkey attacks. I believe based, on personal experience, that a turkey can strike every bit as fast as a snake can having been bitten by both.

Hi, I'm not quite familiar with turkeys just yet, but it's one I'm interested in keep as well. A couple questions.

1) Do all turkey hens (regardless of breed) seem to do this? What breed do you have?
2) Which turkey breeds don't fly? Or would we have to clip their wings if we're going to free range and such.

Thanks! Still trying to navigate this whole new world.
I was told NOT to clip the wings if you're going to free range. Doing so will cause it to lose it's ability to flee from predators. They also like to fly up and roost in trees (not necessarily the coop). That being said, I was told that they won't ever go more than 200 feet from the perimeter of the property, and will always return home. Unless of course you have a broody hen.

I intervened and assume this would have ended badly for the turkey, but this happened today. https://photos.app.goo.gl/98YpGWjRfUGuBmpz8

That looks like a hognose. Non-venomous and not a threat to your birds at all. They eat frogs. They will puff out and pretend to be a cobra when threatened and if that doesn't work, they will roll over and play dead.

Back
Top Bottom