1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do turkeys lay like chickens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Gazinga, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, i know NOTHING about turkeys, but i am thinking of getting some next year.
    1) do they lay eggs like chickens (no rooster needed)?
    2) do they need a coop / run?
    3) are they really that much different then chickens?

2. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

anyone?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..i dont know...i might want some next year for thanksgiving..good question...someone here will know the answer...Wendy

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    They lay seasonally. The jennys will sometimes lay a few at about 7mo. (we had one hatched in June and throwing off a few by Dec.). Ours got serious during their first spring in May. If you keep the eggs collected daily they'll continue to lay for a bit longer. If you allow them to work a clutch (anywhere from 10-20 eggs) they'll get very broody (much more aggressive than a broody chicken hen - hiss like dragons bite like the dickens). You won't need a tom to get eggs.

Yes, a pen and shelter is very helpful.

If you are raising them for food don't spend a lot of time around them (don't let them imprint on you as poults). They are much more social than chooks and (other than the toms hormonal moments) will follow you around like dogs, they are very curious birds.

5. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    Ok, now what about ducks? same question. And are the eggs similar taste wise?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  6. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Duck eggs taste about the same as a chicken. They are a little richer and make great bake good items. The ducks will lay from Feb. or March thru November.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by