Do wattles on a polish at 12 weeks mean it is a cockerel?

Wow, I had not really thought anything of the beard. There were so many feathers there that I hadn't even noticed.

Amanda, with the red wattles has more prominent saddle feathers. I have plenty of space, so I will keep them even if they are roos. I appreciate the feedback, all!

I also have two Silver Polish, neither have the red wattles. I am going to have to take a closer look for a beard though.

Do Polish generally have a beard?
just like silkies they can have beard and they can be beardless (i prefer the ones with beards though lol)

I would say both are cockerels. Should start crowing soon. I know mine which are 12-13 weeks have both crowed. One has Huge wattles and the other barely has any and still crowed. Check out my thread I linked. See some picture of mine for comparison. Mine are from Local Breeder not hatchery stock though so maybe some differences. My pullet has a totally different crest with a puff shape too it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697028/pullet-or-cockerel-showing-no-signs#post_9498986

Thanks for asking, RainyPeeps. Only the suspect with the wattles turned out to be a cockerel. All 65 others are pullets as ordered. I am amazed at my good fortune. I have posted a more recent picture. He is beautiful. All are a little over 19 weeks today, so I think they it would be obvious by now if I had more cockerels. All of the others look like pullets, and he is the only one crowing. I have to say, I think he is adorable!

I know that this is early to distinguish between pullets and cockerels, but I have two Golden Polish that are the same age and came from the same hatchery. I am suspicious of the prominent wattles on "Amanda" in the second and third picture means she is "A Man" rather than Amanda.

What do you say?

Leah

Amanda

Amanda

Do you have any baby pictures of these chickens??? I would like to compare them to the one I have right now

Back
Top Bottom