Do we have to wait before we eat them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sugar Creek Chickens, May 28, 2011.

1. Sugar Creek Chickens

Sugar Creek Chickens New Egg

May 28, 2011
    I butchered 25 years ago on the family farm tomorrow we are going to butcher 2 of our birds, just surfing the posts is making me ask do you need to let them rest a day? I know we like to brine our chicken before we cook it - even the store chicken. But whats up with resting. I was going to butcher Monday morning and eat them Monday night should we butcher Sunday afternoon (when my wife is home from work (welcome home honey)) and then eat them Monday? And whats up with using gloves? I bet my wife will want to do that.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They should be rested 2-3 days to let the muscles relax from rigor mortis. Some eat right away though. The meat is just a lot chewier if you cook right away.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My butcher said the same thing as galanie said. Let them rest in the fridge. [​IMG]

4. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    If you cook them before they start stiffening then they are still tender to eat.

5. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    When letting them rest in the fridge do you let them "dry age" as you would with beef? Or wrap it in plastic so the skin doesn't dry out?

6. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

rivers2011- I always put my chickens, ducks , etc. in a plastic bag or wrapped in plastic after they cool down a little and let them stay that way for 2-3 days then either cook or freeze them.

7. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:THanks!
    ~river

8. Sugar Creek Chickens

Sugar Creek Chickens New Egg

May 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone - how in the world did anyone ever raise chickens without this forum! What a bunch of great info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by