Do we need to clean dry odorless chick poop?

Okay, noted on the water getting into the run... Hm, not sure what we can do about that at this point. At least we don't get a lot of rain here in socal. Might be a pain at times though, because the run is at the bottom of a small downhill slope. There was nowhere else to put it though :) Noted on the thin layer of straw and wood chips- would hemp work or should I buy some wood chips now? Hemp is very absorbent, more so that wood shavings from what I've read. Thanks again for the info, this thread has been very helpful.
Dig a trench uphill of run and slanted off to divert run off around the run.
Hard to explain, but best done during a hard rain so you can see where the water is going as you dig.

It's not so much about absorbency as the carbon to break down the nitrogen(poop).
Wood chips are better at this(more capacity) and won't mat with wetness, which can block out the air needed for the aerobic breakdown process. The matting is a problem, turning a nice aerobic situation into a slimy anaerobic nastiness.

Dig a trench uphill of run and slanted off to divert run off around the run.
Hard to explain, but best done during a hard rain so you can see where the water is going as you dig.

It's not so much about absorbency as the carbon to break down the nitrogen(poop).
Wood chips are better at this(more capacity) and won't mat with wetness, which can block out the air needed for the aerobic breakdown process. The matting is a problem, turning a nice aerobic situation into a slimy anaerobic nastiness.
Ok, the trench is a great idea, we will do that. When you say wood chips do you mean something like walk on bark? We have walk on bark, but the pieces are pretty large, I'm thinking you mean something smaller. Here is a picture of what we have in our garden. If it works would be great to use it, we still have half a bag.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_125313.jpg
    IMG_20200607_125313.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom