Do wind spinners work to scare hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wyo Chick, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I was looking at a Great horned owl wind spinner to scare a hawk away. Do these things work?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Not sure, but I heard if you hang up CDs it will through off a hawks aim.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've had dozens of cd's all over my yard. All it does is drive ME crazy. Hawks didn't care.

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh, drat [​IMG]

5. Wyo Chick

Yes, I have tried the CD's, string across the coop. Didn't work.

6. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Nice resource FarmerRob! If I end up having to get netting, I know where to get it now!

7. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    CD's dont work, unless maybe you had a hundred of them! I had about 10 hanging from the trees and bushes but the last hawk kill I had was right under the CD, on a sunny day. Please don't fall into that false sense of security.

8. Wyo Chick

:lol:Maybe, I could put Justin Beber in the CD player and scare him away!!! Just kidding. I do like him. Beber was the only name I could think of that everyone would know:)

9. Aves

Aves Out Of The Brooder

I just had an issue with a Juvie red-tailed hawk that found an easy meal while learning to hunt. It killed two of my hens within 1 week. So after a little reserach I ended up stringing 1100 feet of vinyl coated clothesline in a spiderweb formation and then I tied hundreds of colored flagging (orange, pink & yellow since hawks see color) onto the clothesline. It looks like a 3-ring circus in the run (it has no top). I also purchased a 3-d almost life-like coyote decoy that I move around 1 - 2x daily. There is constant movement and activity in the run now that the flagging is blowing, the clotheline is strung within 4 -5 of each other and Bolt the coyote is on duty. No deaths for several weeks now...

Aves

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by