Do yall recomend me IDEAL HATCHERY?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvchikies, Jan 7, 2009.

1. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    im going to buy some chicks from cackle hatchery but i've seen that on ideal they have them at a lower price. And I just wanted to know if yall recomend me Ideal. Also I have an incubator and the temp. is at 99.0 is that good?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I've used Ideal before and I was very happy with them. ALL survived and thrived and are still with us today..albeit 3 of the roos are in different places.

There's a thread on here about reviews:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56304

You may want to view that and/or do a search on here of your own about Ideal and Cackle.
    Also a search about incubation techniques can be found on the BYC site. I don't have an incubator, so can't help you there.
    Read, read, read before you get anything though so you'll be prepared.
    There's always been an answer to any question I've had somewhere posted on BYC. It's a great, informative site and the members are excellent at advice and fast help when you need it.

Good luck with your new babies! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had good luck with Ideal. Go for the one closest with what you want.

You can do a search on the site for "Ideal Hatchery" since there are a good number of threads with reviews on them.

You can also do a search in incubation section to find out more on hatching.

If you have still air, you need 101.5 or so, and if you have forced air (fan) you need about 99.5.

4. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I will be ordering from Ideal this year - Start date to place order is the 10th.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Many of the Tractor Supply stores sell Ideal chicks. I got my first chicks form TS and they were very healthy and grew to be wonderful chicks.

If you are looking for good production birds then I agree with Silkiechicken order from the hatchery closest to you. Last year many who ordered chicks in February had problems with dead chicks. It is very hard on them when shipped in extreme weather. If you order it would be wise to wait for favorable temperatures to ship. We are all anxious to get our new birds at this time of year but healthy chicks make healthy chickens it is best to give them every chance you can by making sure the trip is not to long and temps are not to cold.

Many of the hatcheries buy their hatching eggs from the same farms so the stock you get from one may be the same as the stock from another. This is especially true of the more rare birds.

Ideal has some add on fees that the other hatcheries don't so make sure to compare all the pricing policies.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ive gotten at least 1000 chicks from them,, with less then 24 problems and or deaths.
    i give them A++++

7. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    I have ordered from from Ideal twice; with good results both times.
    However, I would agree that you should order from the closest good hatchery. The less time spent in shipment the better for the chicks.[​IMG]

8. kentuckychickenmomma

kentuckychickenmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    We ordered from Ideal and got our chicks last week and we only had 1 that was DOA and one with a messed up leg , but that was out of 120 chicks. They have good prices , and when I called them to tell them about the 2 chicks, they were very nice and quick to put the money back on my card for them. This was the first time we had ever ordered from a hatchery , and we will use them again. We live in Ky and they are in Texas , so while the chicks had a long ride, the others are doing great and growing already.. I would say they are good.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have ordered birds from Ideal in the past and had a fabulous experience with them. The birds turned out nice too [​IMG]

10. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i ordered from ideal last week over the phone and they were great to dill with i have not got my chicks yet they are do to arrive thursday or friday so i will let you know then if there are any problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by