Do yo feed Your flock KITCHEn scraps...

Pics
My flock free ranges and their favorite hangout is on the compost pile, which is right in front of their favorite strip of woods. We don't put any meat scraps in there to discourage predators (and because it tends to stink). Not much actually "composts" directly anymore, but while the flock is hanging out eating all the vegetable scraps, eggshells, etc, they provide high protein chicken litter for the compost and mix it in for us as they're scratching around. The good compost dirt is their favorite for dust bathing, too.

Sometimes I feed my chickens apple skin and leftover meat, they love kitchen scraps! If you are unsure if its safe to give, then search it up or just don't give it. :)

Last edited:
I feed them everything we don’t eat except hot spicy food. Any leftover, fish, chicken, pork, beef, table scraps, veggies, greens. Mix it with their daily fresh veggies that I collect from the produce stand, they were going to toss, mix it all up and add some oats and scratch to the serving. The flavors change every day and they can’t wait to clean their platters. They lay beautiful delicious vivid color eggs. And never had any health issues either.

this is probably a stupid question but...
do you all just toss the kitchen scraps in the run on the ground or do you put it in a dish of some kind?

My run is full of leaf litter, so the scraps join it - I just throw them there. If the birds miss some, and they grow (hahahahahhahaaha, never happen!) its no big thing. Also, given my flock size, scattering the scraps is a good thing. Smaller scrums as they fight for it.

do you all just toss the kitchen scraps in the run on the ground or do you put it in a dish of some kind?

Not a stupid question at all.

I sometimes just dump a pile of stuff in on top of the litter and sometimes I set down a disposable pan full -- depends on if I *had* a disposable pan handy when I was doing the prep that resulted in the scraps. :)

I pick up pans and paper plates every couple days because DH hates seeing them there.

I usually scatter scraps on the ground at the edge of my gravel driveway on days they’re free ranging, otherwise I just scatter it on the ground in the run. The only exception is if it’s like leftover soup or something equally liquidy, then I leave it in the scrap bin and just have to remember to pick it up when they’re done.

Mine get everything we eat. I don't do a whole lot of bread tho. Nobody really likes it. Their favorite is tomatoes, cucumber, strawberry tops and mac n cheese (on the very VERY rare occasion my 9 yr old doesn't eat every bite I make if it.)

And as for egg shells I give the shells after I break them. Don't crush or anything. They've never eaten any eggs or broke them trying to eat them. I've even busted eggs by throwing them for them to eat when I've found random eggs in weird spots that they lay and the opossums haven't found. I only do that IF I don't know how long they been there.

Back
Top Bottom