1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you absolutely need a run?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashley74, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas
    My chicks will be pretty free range, only in the coop at night. Mainly for their safety. I keep seeing tart everyone has a run, so I just wanted to see if it was 100% necessary or will I be ok without one. Oh I have girls right now and plan on getting two silkies this summer.

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It isn't absolutely necessary but unless you have an automatic door it becomes very hard to leave for the weekend without a run. It is also a pain if you are say planting new grass and need them locked away until things are established.

3. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas

Ok thank you! I will definatly keep that in mind and probably add one if needed. I was just starting to freak out a little think omg I don't have a run. Lol

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I didnt have one all winter, because we moved our coop and the ground was frozen. However it is back on now because we are planting grass.

5. chickenchick123

chickenchick123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I have foxes about. my chickens free range all day, I can hear them clucking if there is danger about, that's when I have to put them in the run. I also put them in the run if I'm out for the day. It's just for piece of mind. Also if predators move in to the area they will start stalking out the area. I would advise to have one for emergencies.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Having a run will save many lives; a safe place for them when raptors are about, for example. My run isn't as safe as my coop, but still a huge safety feature here. Mary

7. SAMnELLA

SAMnELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    North Florida
    We have a large run and we keep adding on to it. (more chickens) LOL I wish they could free range, but even in the day time there are hawks here, waiting to snatch one up. A hawk even tried to get one of my hens through the chicken wire and my neighbor said a hawk almost got one of his roosters. His are free range and he has lost a lot of them to hawks and owls. Also, if you have to keep them in a coop for awhile, will they have enough room ?

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you put a run up you will be glad- it will come in handy down the road. Lots of reasons that others have mentioned already.

9. Vian

Vian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    I have a fenced yard. I don't worry about predators because I live in the suburbs (no racoons or foxes, only crows that will pick off chicks, but are harmless to adult hens). Instead of a proper run (enclosure with a top on it) I just fenced off a corner of my yard. The only reason I even fenced off the corner of the yard is to make sure the hens would use the coop and lay their eggs where I could FIND them. My yard has lots of good nesting spots (including a crawl space under the house and under an old junky car) and in fact, once my hens were too old to lay, I let them loose in the back yard and they totally stopped using the coop and just slept under the house at night. Now that I have new chicks, I fenced off the corner of the yard again to make sure they use the coop just so that I can gather the eggs. If you don't have the chickens contained somewhat, there's no guarentee they will return to the coop at night if there are equally comfy spots in their range to hole up for the night.

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Up until this year when hawk attacks made it necessary, I did not have a run. The chickens had free range of my yard which is fenced in. I didn't have any run, as it wasn't necessary, until the hawks decided my backyard was the new fancy place to go for chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by