Do you allow your chickens in your compost?

Do you allow your chickens in your compost

• Total voters
Wow I’m pumped by the responses to the post. I had read a few “blogs” stating chickens shouldnt go in the compost for “safety” reasons. I felt the opinion didn’t line up with my own feelings on the subject. I often find that BYC has more traditional keeping values (that align with my own) that popular blogs.

Wow I’m pumped by the responses to the post. I had read a few “blogs” stating chickens shouldnt go in the compost for “safety” reasons. I felt the opinion didn’t line up with my own feelings on the subject. I often find that BYC has more traditional keeping values (that align with my own) that popular blogs.
Different people are comfortable with different things. I assume those bloggers are not comfortable allowing their chickens into their compost, and they listed the reasons that seem important to them.

But yes, as you've discovered, there are plenty of people here who think it's fine, and we've shared some of our experiences and reasons too :D

This has probably been asked before, but I’m asking again for the sake of my curiosity. I used to use a barrel system for my compost but I ran out of room for all of that 💩! So now I have an open bin. Those silly gals fly in and dig in it all day. Thanks to them I never have to stir the compost. However, 90% of it is their own 💩! They’ve done this for months are are still fine. But I’m trying to decide if it’s better to block them off.
I raise sheep. I use chickens to scratch/aerate the composting manuer piles. This is about 6 cubic yards per year and it takes 3 years to break down..so three piles. During the summer months the chickens help hasten the break down so I don’t have to turn the pile. At the end of The third year we scoop it up and spread rich black dirt on the pastures making sure not to let too much nitrogen build up in one spot..if that happens the sheep get bloat. Our chickens are pretty much free range and the only off limits is the sheep shed..they roost in the feeders and compete for grain, good hay and water..bad news for the sheep.

I raise sheep. I use chickens to scratch/aerate the composting manuer piles. This is about 6 cubic yards per year and it takes 3 years to break down..so three piles. During the summer months the chickens help hasten the break down so I don’t have to turn the pile. At the end of The third year we scoop it up and spread rich black dirt on the pastures making sure not to let too much nitrogen build up in one spot..if that happens the sheep get bloat. Our chickens are pretty much free range and the only off limits is the sheep shed..they roost in the feeders and compete for grain, good hay and water..bad news for the sheep.
Thanks for your input! After this thread, I have let my chickens do whatever they want in the compost. They've done a fine job of keeping it stirred, and eating all the tasty poop-covered tidbits they can find. I've decided they have cast iron gizzards.

Back
Top Bottom