Do You Always Hear Peeping?

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
My hen is on day 21 on her now small clutch- nary a peep to be heard.

Do they always peep before pipping? What does the hen begin to do if pipping occurs? Does she stay sitting on them, or get off and stare at them? Is there any change in hen behaviour I should look for at or around hatch?

Thanks,

Laura

just let the hen do her job as mother.

yes all peep

do not start worring until day 23-25.

reactions vary whith hens most remain seated on them to keep the others warm. If the chicks need help she should help them.

hope that helps

yes all peep

that doesn't bode well for me. I don't think there's enough peeping coming outta my 36 eggs.
sad.png

do not start worring until day 23-25

Good advice...I'll try that considering this is the beginning of day 21.​

[quote=chickenlove2009

do not start worring until day 23-25.

Oops, too late!!

Thanks for all the info,

Laura

Sometimes you can't always hear them. i know that I have had some pip without peeping. It all really depends on the chick. Some don't shut up...EVER, and then some are really quiet. Only time will tell.
fl.gif

No. I have had near silent hatches. Until one is out and lonely or one gets stuck in it's egg and can't finish hatching not a peep was heard. I've never heard a chick peep in the shell before pipping and rarely before zipping. The quail are much worse though. Sometimes you don't hear a thing until there are 6 or more of them out.

That's very good to know! I know that I have zero control over the events from here on out, but I do want my sweet broody to get a baby for all her hard work! I had decided that if the hen hatching fails, I'd get her a couple of baby chicks. However, none of our feed stores seem to carry chicks any longer, except for offering mail order. I'll give her a few more days, unless she gives up first.

Thanks again all!!

Laura

Back
Top Bottom