do you bleach your water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daniel-delarosa, Jul 27, 2011.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I was wondering if any of y'all put bleach in your chicken water to keep it from growing mold.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've not heard of this before? I'm sure others will come by though.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    http://www.i4at.org/surv/bleach.htm

*Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water

8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water

1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water

If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

(Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, replace your storage bottle every three months.)​

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I bleach their fountains and pails when cleaning them, but not directly the water. They get fresh water every day anyhow.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:
    Good to know, thanks. [​IMG]

6. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    I only use bleach to clean the waterer to kill any alge or mold that starts. I don't bleach the water I give the chickens, I don't feed my chickens chlorine for the same reason that so many people try to get the chlorine out of the water THEY drink. You should have no problem with mold or alge if you add ACV, (Apple Cider Vinegar) to the water at a rate of 1 tablespoon/gallon of water. It is good for their health, and the acidity prevents or slows green growth. That along with regular water changes and there should be no problem. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Yes, we have a small commercial layer barn with couple hundred feet of nipple watering lines and we inject bleach into the system at about 10-12 ppm to keep stuff from growing in the plumbing.

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I clean with soap and bleach solution every week or two but I don't bleach the water.
    I change the water and forcefully rinse out the waterers twice daily.
    Hubby has promised me an automatic waterer as soon as it's cool enough to dig the trench!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by