Do you diaper your indoor goose (geese)?

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
Gizmo (duck) and Sebastian (Sebastopol goose) recently received their diaper harnesses from The Goose's Mother. Gizmo seems to be doing okay -- he doesn't love it, but he doesn't constantly pull on it and the diaper is collecting all of the poop. Sebastian HATES it (it's been several days) -- he CONSTANTLY pulls on it, takes the diaper out, poop sometimes spills out, etc.

Anyone have good luck with goose diapers? If so, where did you order them?

Thanks a lot,
Amanda

Last edited:
I do not have an indoor goose (yet, hehe) but I do have an indoor duck. I got my original diapers from Indoorducks.com but since they closed I have gone with Feathered Fashions and have been pleased :)

You can buy a "diaper guard" from The Goose's Mother, http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id87.html. It is supposed to cover the butt area, so your goose can't pull out the diaper from the harness. I haven't tried it, so I wouldn't know if it works.

I used the diapers from IndoorDucks, too. Now I have my mother make copies of those. I found the ones from The Goose's Mother too small in the pouch area. The poop often touched the goose's butt - and that's when he'd start pulling at the diaper.

My goose generally leaves the diaper alone. But if he feels poop on his butt, he'll start pulling at the diaper immediately. Also, if he's in "cleansing mode", he'll just rip out the diaper trying to get to his butt. If he for some reason has to stay diapered, I'll take him to the bathroom, rinse his butt (if necessary), and let him clean it for a few minutes. Then I put the diaper back on. That usually solves the problem. On the go I've used unscented baby wipes.

My goose has been diapered since he was only eight days old, so he's used to the diapering. I imagine it would take some time (like weeks) for an older goose to get used to it.

I hope you find a solution that's acceptable for both you and Sebastian!

Thanks for the reply!

I need to find someone who can sew a diaper.

You can buy a "diaper guard" from The Goose's Mother, http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id87.html. It is supposed to cover the butt area, so your goose can't pull out the diaper from the harness. I haven't tried it, so I wouldn't know if it works.

I used the diapers from IndoorDucks, too. Now I have my mother make copies of those. I found the ones from The Goose's Mother too small in the pouch area. The poop often touched the goose's butt - and that's when he'd start pulling at the diaper.

My goose generally leaves the diaper alone. But if he feels poop on his butt, he'll start pulling at the diaper immediately. Also, if he's in "cleansing mode", he'll just rip out the diaper trying to get to his butt. If he for some reason has to stay diapered, I'll take him to the bathroom, rinse his butt (if necessary), and let him clean it for a few minutes. Then I put the diaper back on. That usually solves the problem. On the go I've used unscented baby wipes.

My goose has been diapered since he was only eight days old, so he's used to the diapering. I imagine it would take some time (like weeks) for an older goose to get used to it.

I hope you find a solution that's acceptable for both you and Sebastian!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom