Do you edit your Facebook page?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
My niece, who is 17, posted something on Facebook that was something she should have either kept to herself or written a private letter to her mother (the post was mostly a statement about how much she thinks her mom is a horrible mom who is controlling and never tells her she loves her and is proud of her). Her mom responded in an understandably hurt manner. My niece then posted how her mom was yet again just being negative and that she hadn't written anything hurtful, just what she was feeling (as if that is supposed to make all the mean things she said acceptable). I commented and said that if she thought what she wrote wouldn't be hurtful to her mother, she must have on blinders. A few other people responded in a similar manner.

I saw today that she deleted all the comments that didn't agree with her other than her mom's response. It just made me wonder how many people post things that are controversial in nature and then go back to edit anything that doesn't agree with them or that they simply don't want to see. I deleted someone off my friends list once because I disagreed with something they posted and they informed me they didn't need or want my opinion. Why post it if you don't want people to comment? Is it really that awful to have some disagree with you?

I always think about what I am posting before I post it. Also what is your FB you should add me!

Last edited:
I only edit my page if someone posts something that's cussing or otherwise not kid friendly. Not that I am terribly offended by cussing (sometimes shucky darn just isn't a good enough word) and I'm not shocked at videos that show graphic or nude pictures but my kids and my son-in-laws young son peruse my page and leave me messages and I don't need them to see some of that stuff.

Acctually, I've only deleted one persons comment.. my best friend said some cuss words and I knew my grandmother was following that certain post so I kindly told her so and deleted her post. Her feelings weren't hurt, and come to think of it she was commenting on some chicks that her DH sold me that I told her I'd eat the roosters from.. LOL... She doesn't understand the eating of animals that were raised in the backyard.
roll.png
She wasn't cussing me, she just used certain words, and my grandmother is old fashioned.

I totally understand removing comments that have bad language or something of that nature. I have done that once as I have friends and family read my page who wouldn't appreciate that kind of language. That is far different, in my opinion, than removing comments simply because they didn't support your point of view.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe it's her age
hu.gif
I was just saying that was the only time I've ever deleted comments, never knew anyone to delete something to make themselves look better to their friends.

People can be weird about their FB pages, and about agreeing or disagreeing with stuff. Heck, one person I know told people if they didn't agree with her assessment of a ref's call in a football game, they couldn't post on her page anymore! It's silly, but it's human nature. In your niece's case, I would say it is most likely the age. At her age, kids tend to think they know it all, and anyone who disagrees with them (obviously) knows nothing. She'll grow out of it and most likely, once she gets over what initially caused the post in the first place (and I'd bet there was something that happened) she will regret that post or just plain forget about it. You would not believe some of the things my kids said about me when they were teenagers (no FB then, but they did have online journals that I could read). It's part of growing up.

First of all, no matter what her mother has done, that is the Internet, and you do not say something like that on the Internet, public or private. She needs to call her mom to discuss that. Don't type what you can't speak. Anyways, I will edit rude or vulgar comments on mine, but if someone disagrees with me- oh well, I have no regrets. Not a big deal, it's all a journey and a learning experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom