Do you ever worry that doing the right thing... (long rant)

Dollywood's kinda neat in a hokey sorta way, but I liked it better when it was "Silver Dollar City."
tongue.png
big_smile.png

When I lived in and worked for the school district in SC, ALL field trips had to have an educational justification before they were approved. Goals had to be written, had to be related to specific items in the curriculum. I'm sure the subject here was "Social Studies" but I wonder what this trip taught them?

"Hurting" people you care about is part of raising kids. Adults are supposed to be role models and guides for kids, not best friends. Sometimes adults have to make choices involving discipline that will make the kids feel "hurt" for awhile, but it's better than letting them run wild and not learning what they need to know to be safe and productive members of society. Adults have a responsibility to lead and teach children, and let them know when they've made mistakes so that they can improve themselves. Too many parents these days want to be a "friend" instead of a "parent."

I think telling what you know is doing the right thing. Good luck with this!

I would tell as well. I would also express my concern over allowing the teens to be without an adult.I would not allow my own dd on that trip!

I'm going to be on the outside here. I wish I had a little, hide-able piercing where if someone asked me when I got it, I could say "On a school field trip, when I was 14."

Are you seriously thinking a piercing place would give a child HIV or hepatitis? You can get your infant's ears pierced. If the girls decide they no longer want it, they can take it out.

At any point, in their lives! This is between those girls and their parents. The school did not do anything wrong. The only people who could possibly have broken the rules were the children. Would any of you be this freaked out if it had been the girl's ears?

Quote:
First off, I for one am not freaked out, and yes I would feel the same way. Doing ANYTHING like that at that age without a parents permission is wrong. And the school was to be providing chaperones - where were they? My son is almost 21 and as long as he lives under my roof and I am paying the bills, he will not have any piercings or tattoos. Period. And I think it is silly that I have to point out that there are many tattoo/piercing places that are less than sanitary. If a parent is going to let their child do that, don't you think we would like to check it out first?

Quote:
I see you never had a blood test come back not so good. First thing the medicos ask is piercings, tatoos, prison and such. So yes, a piercing/tatoo parlor can give you HIV or hept. You place a whole lot of trust into people (to paraphrase another member here) who look like they fell face first into a tackle box.

No the school didn't do anything wrong except not provide enough chaperones. When my kids were in elem, middle or highschool, when they went some where, field trip, track meet, football game, wrestling match, basket ball game, a member of the family went along. Everytime.

Trouble finds teenagers. Ask Natalie Holloway's mom if she thinks Natalie would not have been better off with a chaperone.

My daughter, at 14 comes home with a belly button pierced. Or a hole anywhere where the Good Lord didn't put one. First when I got finished with her, she would gladly enroll in a convent. Secondly when I got finished with the school/chaperones I'd have a lot of hide to nail onto the barn door.

Yes! You can have your infant's ears pierced, but I didn't do that either.

If your town really is that small, I gather that your peer group probably isn't that "rich".....

I got my bellybutton pierced and it cost me, dang, like $60 or something like that (like $40 for the "job" plus jewelry, I think, and I only kept it for like 10 months!).....when I was 14 I definitely didn't have that kind of money to throw around behind my mom's back, certainly not enough for 3 girls either....Just wondering. They may get themselves caught if someone asks where their spending money went, or worse if they charged mom's card lol
Or else they really DID get it done at a really cheap slummy place, or did it themselves, and the fears about diseases and infections are probably well-founded!
Everywhere that I have had piercings done they were NOT shy about demanding ID and turning people away who couldn't cough it up. A parent has to sign for anyone under 18, phone calls don't count.

Back
Top Bottom