Do you feed corn?

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Soy oil is a source of fat for energy, it contains NO protein.

So is it also added for the Vitamin E?​

All I feed my roos after i know there roos is corn, both whole and cracked...plus a 10x10 caged in range for them and they are the BEST tasting chickens i have EVER had!
I also cull them around 8-10 months depending on size and what we are going to use them for or what is left in the freezer.

Okay folks, I have been working to formulate a 'non-gmo' feed that contains no corn or soybean products. The problem we are facing is the LOW energy content when compared to that of a 'normal' ration. I can't share numbers but it appears that feed intake would increase in the range of 10 to 35% to maintain energy intake to meet the hen's needs.

The increased feed intake coupled with an increase in price of the diet will be result in a substantial increase in feeding cost of the hen.

I will keep working on it. Hopefully I will have a finalized product for sale in the next few weeks.

Jim

Jim,
I am anxious to here about the final product!
caf.gif

Quote:
We are running into problems trying to maintain the ME level of the feed without using corn. I have several renditions of the ration but m not happy with the recipes or the nutrient profiles yet.

Jim

What about using a little corn? A feed with less corn? Does that make it any easier?​

Quote:
We are running into problems trying to maintain the ME level of the feed without using corn. I have several renditions of the ration but m not happy with the recipes or the nutrient profiles yet.

Jim

What about using a little corn? A feed with less corn? Does that make it any easier?

That might be an option, will see how it works.

I have the soy-free taken care of though.

Jim

I have the soy-free taken care of though.

Jim

Oh, that is the priority with me! Great news!

ETA: What about using animal byproducts? I like that idea!​

Last edited:
Quote:
But what is that feed sack made out of, there better not be any petrochemicals in that sack. I'm not feeding my chickens your fancy feed with petrochemical dust all over it!
tongue.png

Quote:

Jim

What ME are you trying to get to? I'm no expert, but I would assume that you can drop the ME to a certain minimum level and lower the protein level instead of trying to match the energy density of a corn/soy ration, or is that what you are already doing?​

Back
Top Bottom