Do you feed your roos layer feed?

Pics
Everyone I've talked to says that layer feed is perfectly fine for roosters. There's enough calcium for the ladies, but not too much to hurt the roos. My chooks have been on layer feed for a month, and the rooster acts just as happy (and randy) as ever. We also give them crushed eggshells for supplemental calcium, and the boy leaves it alone except to pick some out to spread on the ground for his girls. Chickens are very smart about knowing what they can and can't eat, even along gender lines.

I wouldn't.
Layer feed will cause kidney damage and shorten a roosters life.

It's better to feed an All Flock feed instead and in a seperate container put out oyster shells for the hens.
Thank you, because that is what I have been doing and I was not sure I was doing the right thing.

None of my chickens like layer feed much (or corn), so I only mix a little in sometimes. I use a 5+ grain mix with layer pellets added when I feel like it. But, I have never had a problem with roos being able to eat from the same mix. They get to pick what they want. I also add calcium sometimes. All this is on or near the ground where they can decide what to eat and scratch around. You know, chickens love chicken bones, too. And they have spent centuries eating stuff that was thrown out from the kitchen. Are they really that picky? I have friends who throw out all kinds of stuff and get tons of eggs--more than I do!

None of my chickens like layer feed much (or corn), so I only mix a little in sometimes. I use a 5+ grain mix with layer pellets added when I feel like it. But, I have never had a problem with roos being able to eat from the same mix. They get to pick what they want. I also add calcium sometimes. All this is on or near the ground where they can decide what to eat and scratch around. You know, chickens love chicken bones, too. And they have spent centuries eating stuff that was thrown out from the kitchen. Are they really that picky? I have friends who throw out all kinds of stuff and get tons of eggs--more than I do!
Ha. Mine have full access to my housemates compost pile whether she likes it or not. I suspect them doing the aeration for her is quite nice.

Thanks for the information. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster. They are currently about 8-9 months old. I have been feeding all of them the layer food since they were 6 months. Wouldn’t you know I just bought another 50 lb bag of it today! I’ll get the All Flock feed for next time.

Thanks for the information. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster. They are currently about 8-9 months old. I have been feeding all of them the layer food since they were 6 months. Wouldn’t you know I just bought another 50 lb bag of it today! I’ll get the All Flock feed for next time.
someone suggested mixing the all flock into the layer to get them used to it before switching completely.

Back
Top Bottom