Do you feel bad about doing this?

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Two weeks ago, I wanted to test the fertility of my Welsummer Bantams (auction going on right now) and after seven days, all 6 eggs had developments. How did I know? By opening the eggs, I saw all the embryoes. Then I chuck them in the garbage.

In some ways, I wanted to cry about it because I wanted to raise them but know I do not want to keep them in the basement anymore and have to wait until spring or hubby building me a large rabbit hutch for an outside brooder. AND I am satisfied that the eggs ARE fertile.

It is so hard not to start up the bator again.

Any of you had to do this?????????????

I WANT TO HATCH SO BAD!!!!!!!

I just candle if the eggs are already incubating.
If I didn't want chicks, I wouldn't incubate the eggs. I would just check for the bullseye on my breakfast eggs.
I don't have a problem with you throwing away week-old embryos... I just think it's a little pointless to incubate them for a week when you don't have to.
So to answer, "Do you feel bad about doing this?"
No, but I don't see a need to do it.
Sorry.

I would feel bad if it was me...I would not incubate eggs unless I was going to keep them or had a home for them.
sad.png
I don't believe in killing an animal unless I'm going to eat it or it is dying and needs humane euthanasia.

Next time, it would be easier to test your fertility by opening fresh, unincubated eggs and looking for the bullseye. Then you can eat the eggs and not let them go to waste.

Edited for content

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a hard thing to do but its something you need to do if you want to test fertility. Bullseyes are unreliable. I have sent out an egg order from my LF birds after seeing bulleyes and not a single egg every developed!

Last edited:
This is why people sell test batches for just the cost of shipping.

I don't think its horrible, but I wouldn't do it, it just wouldn't sit right with me.

Quote:
That's so funny! Do you know why yours is blind? I was able to get mine seen by a veterinary ophthalmologist and she has congenital cataracts in both eyes. She does really well even with them, and free-ranges with the rest of the group.

Back
Top Bottom