Do you free range your chickens?

Pics
If you have trees, don't free range.
My chickens free-range 24/7 and sleep in trees at night. So far I've lost one chicken in the past year and I think it was the neighbor's dog

My chicken population has more than doubled so far and I'm expecting it to double again in the next month as my five broody mothers raise their babies in my forest. This is despite predation, because the foxes, possums, and raccoons aren't competent enough to catch my chickens

There's one red fox in particular that I watch chase my chickens around as I drink coffee in the morning. She hasn't caught any and I'm not the least bit worried about them

My chickens free-range 24/7 and sleep in trees at night. So far I've lost one chicken in the past year and I think it was the neighbor's dog

My chicken population has more than doubled so far and I'm expecting it to double again in the next month as my five broody mothers raise their babies in my forest. This is despite predation, because the foxes, possums, and raccoons aren't competent enough to catch my chickens

There's one red fox in particular that I watch chase my chickens around as I drink coffee in the morning. She hasn't caught any and I'm not the least bit worried about them

What breeds do you have?

This is actually the last chicken I watched the fox personally chase. American Game / RIR mix. A highly productive bird that the predators can't catch
Snapchat-623031392.jpg

My flock is mostly a mix of American game and red junglefowl. One jungle mother in particular has raised almost half of my flock of 50 chickens by herself. Very prolific and tough creatures

That makes sense.

Light, agile birds that hearken back to the wild.

Those of raising dual purpose and heavy breeds probably wouldn't be so successful. :)

Getting the right breed for your system is important.

That makes sense.

Light, agile birds that hearken back to the wild.

Those of raising dual purpose and heavy breeds probably wouldn't be so successful. :)

Getting the right breed for your system is important.
Where I live, we have a wild chicken. As in really wild, not feral. They are about the size of a two month old Plymouth rock and they run like the wind.

Hawks and owls not doing a lot of hunting near active nest seems typical and many prey species can benefit. A family I’m working with has Red-Shouldered Hawks nest in tree 10 feet behind back door and over uncovered run. They in my experience do not typical go after chickens but will provide daytime protection from those that do by protecting nest site
Oh, they absolutely will take a chicken! I lost a hen yesterday to a RSH while my husband was standing about 20 ft away! We have had a couple of hawk attacks over the years but this one was especially awful because we were right there, so assumed the hens were safe. Do not let your guard down!!!

Oh, they absolutely will take a chicken! I lost a hen yesterday to a RSH while my husband was standing about 20 ft away! We have had a couple of hawk attacks over the years but this one was especially awful because we were right there, so assumed the hens were safe. Do not let your guard down!!!
I think @centrarchid is saying they won't hunt right in the area of their own nest? But rather protect the area right around their nest and hunt further afield. Is that correct, @centrarchid? And won't let other hawks hunt there either? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom