Do you free range your chickens?

Pics
We free range, but their coop is connected to a large quarter acre run, and I cut a hole in the fence so they can access the goats 2 acre yard. This keeps them from running the whole property. I don't like them on the porch or in my garden. We have lost some to hawks and my dog killed a few before we had the current set up. I have 3 really good roosters now who constantly watch the sky and would gladly die for their ladies. As long as the ladies don't wonder too far from the roosters, they are safe. I have lost 2 freedom ranger hens because they were too fat to run for safety when the roosters spotted a hawk 🥺.

We’ve had chickens since august and they were free range until yesterday. We’ve lost 5 chickens including 3 chicks since august to predators (most likely all hawks) and couldn’t do it any longer. They started spending the whole day hidden in brush and acting completely terrified. It breaks my heart to pen them. I feel so guilty about putting them in such a small place compared to the whole yard they had before but I don’t know what else to do... there are folks down the road from us that free range though and don’t seem to have much of an issue what they have that we don’t is three large dogs roaming the yard all day!

I let my chickens free range for a year but they decided they liked to hang out on my porch, on my stairs to the workshop and in the open garage - everything was covered in chicken poop and nobody was happy stepping in it all the time, plus my dogs found it to be a delicacy (gross) - so now they are in a large fenced in area with plenty of space, grass, weeds and they come into the predator-proof coop at night.

So I’ve been terrified to let my girls free range for many reasons. One I’m worried they won’t come back (silly I know). Two I’m worried about predators. We live on about 25 acres so lots of possibilities. We have had issues with our neighbors young dogs jumping the fence so they are my main concern besides cats. Most other predators come out at night. Thoughts? Am I nuts? My family thinks I’m over thinking it. PSA they have a big outdoor area and we have 20 chickens.m
I live in town with my ten chickens. (1 rooster) I got the rooster to scare off the neighborhood dogs that might come across my flock.. but a big dog can still take them all out… So after okaying it with all the neighbors, my flock free ranges for half of each day. Or at least a hour or two. I also have two dogs, that bark at every sound or walking human/dog… so when i spot a stray dog or a threat i run into the coop with bread, call out like a chicken 😂 and wait for the flock to bombard me. (I’ve trained them with bread to come when i sqwak like a chicken (should’ve thought it through and chosen a less dumb sounding call 😂). And the couple of bone heads that think they can stay out.. i just lay a treat trap and snatch um up. No kills yet.. but I’m overly paranoid and always on lookout.

Don’t know if any of that helps but it’s working for me. I’m still a “noob” of sorts.. only been a chicken tender for a little over two years. 🤷‍♀️
I use a loud voice and shout 'Look! Its a monster' when i see a hawk, lol.

So I’ve been terrified to let my girls free range for many reasons. One I’m worried they won’t come back (silly I know). Two I’m worried about predators. We live on about 25 acres so lots of possibilities. We have had issues with our neighbors young dogs jumping the fence so they are my main concern besides cats. Most other predators come out at night. Thoughts? Am I nuts? My family thinks I’m over thinking it. PSA they have a big outdoor area and we have 20 chickens.
View attachment 3319220
I did what alot do, I have 20 acres, but also lots of predators, so I fenced in the whole orchard and conected it to the barn. they have lots of room and trees for shade and protection. They freerange about 6 hours a day. I have lost a few to a bob cat. But, that is the chance you take when you let them out. I feel it is a balance, I ldo not want to have them in a pen all their life, even tho the yard and chicken coop are way roomy. Just my feelings. You can tell the diference in the color of the yolks for sure.

I've free ranged all day almost the entire time I've had chickens and I've only lost 2 chickens from it. I started in a suburban area where I lost one pullet to a weasel right before sunset, later I moved to five acres where I've lost one to a hawk. That was with no roosters. It is a danger but it's not a definite. Right now there's the added danger of HPAI so remember to keep an eye on the APHIS reports (or your country's equivalent if you live elsewhere) if you decide to.

So I’ve been terrified to let my girls free range for many reasons. One I’m worried they won’t come back (silly I know). Two I’m worried about predators. We live on about 25 acres so lots of possibilities. We have had issues with our neighbors young dogs jumping the fence so they are my main concern besides cats. Most other predators come out at night. Thoughts? Am I nuts? My family thinks I’m over thinking it. PSA they have a big outdoor area and we have 20 chickens.
View attachment 3319220
I free range my roosters and turkeys but my chickens are somewhat - they are in electric poultry netting. I live on 10 acres.

I do not think they are so much spoiled, but happier, healthier and so much more natural in their habitat when they can free range.
True but they are spoiled. I figure that they deserve it because they provide wonderful eggs. I talk to them, sing to them, etc. They're special. ❤🤠🐔

Attachments

• Peggy Day 2022 Oct.jpg
    Peggy Day 2022 Oct.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom