1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Do you get chicken "hugs"?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tasymo, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tasymo

tasymo Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    I do! I have six hens, three of them Barred Rocks. Every morning when I go down to the coop to let the Girls out, I open the top half of the dutch door and Harriette immediately jumps up on the bottom door and snuggles up against me! She'll stay that way as long as I let her, while the other five girls mutter and grumble about the delay. I can't lean in and open the pop door until I move her out of the way. She's also the only hen that enjoys a good neck rub while she sits on my lap. Compared to the other two BR's, Harriette is huge. In fact, I worried that she might be a roo before she started laying eggs. She has big feet, thick legs and her coloring is a bit lighter than the other two. Don't tell the other Girls, but Harriette is my favorite!

[​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yes, I have two that actually snuggle: Sweetie and Lilly, both buff orps:[​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My chickens won my heart the first time I heard and felt them purr. I love to get chicken snuggles.

I knew then that I was going to be a forever chicken owner.

[​IMG]

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Because I am the rescuer of my Sultan, I am happy to say that she almost melts when I pick her up. My 3 year old is always chasing her and putting her in odd situations. She really hates the slide. So, when I hear her clucking for help, I run to her and rescue her from whatever situation she is stuck in. The 3 year old means well, she just loves that poor hen. She's the easiest to catch with all those feathers and no peripheral vision.
    I keep telling her to chase the Sebright. Man! That bird can run!

5. Awwwww!!! That is so sweet! Nice pictures [​IMG] I SOOOO can't wait to get my chickens, I'm jealous... I want chicken snuggles....[​IMG]

6. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Does it count if your hen randomly flings herself at you just so she can perch on your arm? [​IMG]

7. tasymo

tasymo Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    I think all chickens "hug" in different ways. Harriette isn't crazy about being held, unless you burrow your fingers under her feathers and rub the skin on her neck. As long as she is perching on the coop door though, she is content to snuggle for as long as you let her, with her head resting in the crook of my arm.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awe! What a sweet heart! [​IMG]
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy (the chicken! ) gives me snuggles and Julia my Dark Blue EE hen LOVES to give Mamma snuggles! And Beepbeeb gives mamma snuggles, too!
    TheChickenCameFirst: Sending lots of Chicken Snuggles your way! [​IMG] < That was from Me [​IMG] < That was from Julia, [​IMG] < That was from Mrs. Fluffy Puffy [​IMG] and that was from Beepbeeb! [​IMG]

9. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Chicken snuggles are the best. My favorite girl always seems to know when I especially need some chicken TLC and will pause from her busy bug-hunting schedule to burrow into my arms, put her head on my shoulder and close her eyes. You can't buy therapy that's that good!

10. AJ666

AJ666 Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    I dont get chickens hugs but I do know that I GIVE them to my chickies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: