Do you hatch for other people?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have had a few requests from relatives to incubate some of their duck and chicken eggs in the spring, thats about it for me![​IMG]

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Heres a different point of view..I would Love it!...I do not have the space or the experience to do it. I would be willing to pay someone to do it for me. I would think there would be sort of a small contract type thing so that everybody was clear on the issues such as not every egg hatches everytime and all. I'm always wanting to order eggs (I'm always looking at the BST thread and eggbid) but I dont own a bator. Just think you would be a foster mommy [​IMG]

3. Hooterville

Hooterville Songster

Tori--that is one of the issues I need to avoid--I don't have the space to do the brooding right now. Maybe for a few days until they're ready to go, but not for the time it takes til they feather out. And feed is getting more expensive all the time! [​IMG]

I just enjoy the hatching process--and figure someone like JBower might need the service. [​IMG] Being a foster chicken momma sounds great!

It would also be interesting to see the different types that could hatch. Different breeds that I've not had experience with, etc.

I'm really giving this some serious thought.

BTW, I think the winter is a great time to raise chicks, too. Then when spring comes they're all ready to lay, lay, lay! [​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

this is cooliez,, hehe,, im thinking bout charging to hatch others,, the woman i used to get my chicks from did that for people around here with quail and peacocks,, and since my new bator is on its way,, i dont have nowhere near enough eggs lol [​IMG]

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing....and actually the reason why I'm hatching our eggs now is to have them laying in the spring! Think about it this way...supposedly the highest egg production is during a chickens first year. Well, if it takes 6 months to start laying, and you don't get them until March...they'd start laying in September! Just in time for them to molt and slow production. It made more sense to me to hatch babies now and by spring/summer they'll be in full swing!

6. Hooterville

Hooterville Songster

I agree--spring time is the best time of the year for a chicken to start her laying. That's pretty much the way mama nature has it figured out anyway! [​IMG]

7. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Songster

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I hatch for a neighbor. I don't charge her. I have plenty of room in the incubator and feel it is just not right to charge neighbors. Just the way I was raised. Now the man at the feed store wants me to hatch 7 or 8 dozen RIRs for him. I am charging him a couple of sacks of feed to cover the electricity. So I think, every opportunity to hatch for somebody else will have to be judged on its own merits.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've hatched for several people, but I've never charged anyone.

Good luck!

9. skeeter

skeeter Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:,Mine that start to lay late in the year always lay thruogh the winter and all next spring and summer they dont slow down untill the following fall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: