Do you have a rooster that doesn't crow?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
One of my chicks has turned out to be a roo. And I'm not allowed to have rooster in my city. He's nearly 15 weeks old and as sweet and docile as can be. The only sounds he makes is some very soft, high pitched squeeking when I bring out treats.

I've had some people tell me that roosters sometimes don't crow.

But looking online, it says that roosters crow. Period!

So I'm curious what you all have to say. Do any of you have a rooster that doesn't crow? If breed makes a difference, he's a Cuckoo Marans.
caf.gif

I thought I was going to be miraculously lucky in having a roo (that I never wanted...because they crow) that didn't crow...he was about 7 or 8 months when he loudly announced that he was, indeed, a full-fledged roo.
If you aren't allowed to have roosters where you live, you have 3 choices:
Try to get the ordinance changed;
Sell him/give him away;
Send him to freezer camp.

Quote:
I like to call it 'chicken puberty' when they do that sort-of crowing cackled confused thing. It's like a weedy zitty teenager trying to speak up for the first time and his voice just failing him.

yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif

I have a rooster that doesn't crow. he's white with brown spots on his wings and gold color down his neck. The only sound he makes is a humming sqealling noise at same time.

One of my chicks has turned out to be a roo. And I'm not allowed to have rooster in my city. He's nearly 15 weeks old and as sweet and docile as can be. The only sounds he makes is some very soft, high pitched squeeking when I bring out treats.

So I'm curious what you all have to say. Do any of you have a rooster that doesn't crow? If breed makes a difference, he's a Cuckoo Marans.
caf.gif
Hi there! I too have a rooster that hasn't crowed yet and he is 7 months old. I noticed the mother hen stayed with him longer than any other of her babies. He is so sweet but I'm wondering if maybe he's just slow to develop. His sister is the same way. She likes to stay with her bother plus I've noticed neither of them have any interest in running around with the rest of the flock. Here is a pic of my big boy, "Bubba".

caf.gif

Attachments

• 20210504_154429.jpg
    20210504_154429.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 6
Yes, but roosters are not allowed in my city at all. Period! So crowing during the day is out as well.

And quite honestly, I don't want to listen to that all day long either. It's bad enough listening to the crows run their beaks all day and the neighborhood dogs barking at the wind.
And if I'm ratted out by someone, then I risk loosing my entire flock.

Quote:
I don't know anything about caponizing but... I think your odds of getting an uncrowing rooster (I should also add 'when you want one') are slim to none. I've seen people who WANT crowing roosters not get them though....

Roosters crow. Hens do egg songs. How it goes.
hmm.png

Quote:
Not all the time.
wink.png
Gamefowl hens don't at all.

As for roosters crowing, there are quieter ones but not non-crowers. . With yours, it's just the fact that some crow earlier or later than others. I've got a couple Black Copper Marans who crowed at 8 months old, and I've got Araucanas who began at 2 months old. They can vary depending on lifestyle and even strains.

Back
Top Bottom