do you have an easy way to cut quilt scraps

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by sundance, Nov 5, 2008.

1. I love sewing the pieces together, and quilting but I HATE TO CUT THEM, does any one have an easy way to do this, or do I Continue to measure and cut

[​IMG] marrie

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Some books out there offer up ways to cut your cutting time down... but I do all of mine one at a time for fear of mucking it up otherwise [​IMG]

3. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I use a rotary cutter on a cutting board.....

..................or I buy already cut squares from eBay [​IMG]

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I use a rotary cutter and cut multiple layers at a time. It's more exact then scissors and it's faster. Make sure you use a nice sharp blade on the cutter and be really careful using it.

5. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:This is what I do also

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you're using a pencil and scissors now, try a rotary cutter on a mat. They are so fantastic!

If you're already using a rotary cutter and still hate cutting fabric, let us know. I've got some other ideas for you.

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    ok here is a wonderful tip..

I love to quilt dont have much time.

if you want to do a simple 9 patch... and lots of them..

use a rotary cutter..

here is the trick.. if you want 2 inch squares.. cut strips 2.5 inches by the width of the fabric.. (1/4 inch seams)

lets just use black and white for the colors...

you would then sew your strips together .... first batch would be

black white black your second batch would be white black white your third batch black white black you would then end up three sets of long strips of black and white... you would need a ratio of two to one...

then you would cut your 3 color strips in 2.5 inches each cut will produce a 3 block combination.. after cutting all your long strips into 3 block combos.. you would then take your combos and stack them like so..

black white black
    white black white
    black white black

sew these togeter and you wouldnt have had to cut one 2.5 by 2.5 square.. and it is much easier with piecing.

8. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I use a rotary cutter and board. [​IMG]

9. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Quote:I do this sometimes and just cut lots of strips from lots of different fabic and throw them in a bag. When I am done cutting the different fabric into strips I will mix them up really good and then grab two strips and sew them together and then grab another and sew that one together. I make all the strips into sets of 3 then wack and throw them in a bag mix them around and do those into sets of 3 and then put those sets in a bag mix them up and grab and sew the top together. Makes for a really fun and crazy quilt. The only rule I use is that you have to use the piece you grab no matter what even if you don't think it will look good where it is.

10. I have a rotary but it is so dull I can't even see where it was rolled, guess I will look for a new one when i go back to town thankx marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by