Do you have any 9-11 preparations?

Sill

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Tempe, AZ
So 9-11 is coming up and who knows what all might happen. Do you have any preparations you are doing?

I live in the desert so I'm making sure to stock up on water, both potable and for the garden by filling all my tanks, buy batteries, get extra feed, and stock up on more non-perishable food.

Anyone else prepping for the worst?

BYC'ers, by nature are preppers! We have gardens, constant, renewing meat supply... You know.

But yes, food (human, avian, and canine) water, ammo, B.O.B. and B.O.P. communications, tools, power, 4x4 and terrain maps, portable food and portable kitchen, first aid and a few other little necessities.

WTSHTF won't be pretty but we'll make the best of it, no yes?

And we live in the sticks. Fire extinguishers and first aid (and guns) become a bit more critical. No reliable EMS out here. Living in the desert is probably the same, huh?

P.s. You use tanks? We have rain barrels for the garden but we haven't gotten our tank yet. We rotate drinking water by the gallon. We keep about 40 gallons right now.

What kind of tanks? What do they hold?

BYC'ers, by nature are preppers! We have gardens, constant, renewing meat supply... You know.

But yes, food (human, avian, and canine) water, ammo, B.O.B. and B.O.P. communications, tools, power, 4x4 and terrain maps, portable food and portable kitchen, first aid and a few other little necessities.

WTSHTF won't be pretty but we'll make the best of it, no yes?

And we live in the sticks. Fire extinguishers and first aid (and guns) become a bit more critical. No reliable EMS out here. Living in the desert is probably the same, huh?
Same, just much hotter! Water is absolutely critical. Yes, gotta make the best of it.

P.s. You use tanks? We have rain barrels for the garden but we haven't gotten our tank yet. We rotate drinking water by the gallon. We keep about 40 gallons right now.

What kind of tanks? What do they hold?
We have a 110 gallon tank, the white one in this photo. We got free when my DH's work was throwing it out to replace with a bigger one. They used it for distilled water! Cut IBCs in this photo are for aquaponics.

And three uncut 275 gallon IBC totes. They only had isopropyl alcohol in them so were easy to clean out.

Ooooooooh!! :bow

Holy smokes!! Yes!! Aquaponics is my dream project. Can't pull it off right now.

Wow! That is too cool!! You are definitely prepping!

We're working on it but budget is tight. My wife got laid off just as we were starting a new business. She is doing all the work for the new business. I'm just working. But she is doing a great job, has great partners and the business plan is solid.

That part is: I ain't working for the man, neither!!

Wow! Great to hear about you guys! Your plan sounds solid as a rock! Kudos!

lol.png

We are doing it on a tight budget, free or cheap components. We are lucky that the place my DH works uses barrels, IBCs etc. that we can get free or cheap since they sell some of it back when empty, but some they just throw out. Nice thing is we know what was in them even though they are not "food grade" they had stuff that was not toxic and easy to clean out. Time is the hard part since the hubby works so many hours and with the heat has to wait until evening to do any work. We are now looking for a plastic pallet hopefully for free to help raise the fish tank since he is adding a swirl filter and wants more gravity to help get the water to where it needs to go. The most expensive part is the pvc fittings and uni-seals (cheaper than bulk head fittings!). You have to use larger plumbing so it doesn't clog too easy and of course those cost more. Hoping to get this system finished by fall and winter when our growing season really gets going here. We also lucked out to get some second hand expanded clay pellets for the grow beds since that can run a pretty penny (pea gravel is cheaper but so much heavier).

Kudos to you for not working for the man!
highfive.gif

That's cool. Us DH's gotta work. DW is rockin! Like you! Good plan. Keep an eye out for these things. People throw away some stupid stuff!! They ain't got no sense! I used to find stuff when I lived in Dallas. Out here, can't find a thing. We're out in the sticks now.

Can't survive in Dallas. They die first when SHTF. What, three people per cop ratio?? Hell no. Out here, 1000 people and ain't no cop in sight!! Believe me it can get bad. Read my Labor Day post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/922031/my-chickens-aint-chicken-my-guineas-either

Well we had lots of plans but didn't get moved into our house soon enough, work picked up (two promotions for me in 6 months) so the work load greatly increased. Our 14 month old makes it hard to get anything done at home and to top it off my wife requires a shoulder replacement (Oct 1st is the surgery date) since the current joint doesn't allow her to lift much over a few pounds due to all the cartilage being gone in it. If things go south we're pretty much hosed...... No garden, no chickens, no well, no solar... no nothing. If it will just hold off for another year we'll be golden. /me with crossed fingers

RichnSteph

Hey Rich. Ouch. Yes, life happens. But you're blessed. Beautiful family is the part that counts. And difficult as it is, I'm sure, sounds like you've got a great job. We have to remember how blessed we are in this.

Don't lose hope. God will provide. And no matter what, you are already blessed beyond most!! Kiss them. A lot.

Finally, another 9-11 prep and I finished it on 9-10. My AR is done. Well, almost. Just need the 2-stage trigger but the mil spec one in it will do for now. Shoots like a dream!

Back
Top Bottom