Do you have more problems with feathered leg or crested chickens?

I thought about marans but have heard from more than once source they may be more standoffish. Do you find that true?

I expect it depends upon what you like from a chicken. Personally I like chickens that look like chickens, & act like chickens; I don't want them to be lap chickens.

I think many, if not most, chickens can be turned into pets if handled often.

I breed Marans & think they're great fun. They enjoy life & are great free rangers. They often tend to be inquisitive; we often find them up on our deck looking in through the sliding windows waiting for treats. They are far more energetic than some of the bigger breeds such as Orpingtons, brahmas & cochins. I never deliberately make pets out of any of my chickens. Our Orpingtons are mellow but it will be the Marans who would be the first to investigate anything new or come up to me first to see what treat I might be dishing out.

Everyone has their own criteria for what makes the "nicest" chicken. I've only had brahmas once, they were very poor layers of eggs which were small relative to their size & went broody at the drop of a hat.
roll.png

If it were me choosing, I'd stick with the birds you'd originally chosen.
lol.png

Thanks Krys109uk!! I do want very social and friendly chickens so I can easily handle them but I don't need all of them to be lap chickens (I admit it would be nice to have 1 or 2 though)
love.gif
. I also appreciate lively inquisitive birds as they are more fun. I may consider them--especially since I most likely wont be able to get Barnevelders. The ones I've put on the current "list" are all there for good reasons
yippiechickie.gif

Polish Princess--great picture! I will take your information into consideration. I feel its best to get info from those who have had each breed to make a better decision. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I chose but since we will keep them into old age and if they stay healthy I want to have good matches for us. I want to make the most informed decision I can. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom