Do you have separate flocks, or let them all run together?

So it's better (more simple) to just stick with a couple breeds...like, say, Easter eggers and wyandottes? Vs 5 different kinds of dual purpose, plus bantams, plus layer breeds?
Absolutely. Unless you have a LOT of housing and runs available, you'll never be able to manage breeding more than one, two or possibly 3 breeds without a lot of mayhem or lots of employees.
I've had over 30 breeds and I loved many of them but I realized as an individual, I couldn't do justice to more than one breed with limited time and space.
So I picked my all time favorite. One that fends for themselves and is easy to maintain but still has fantastic qualities found in no other breed.

Absolutely. Unless you have a LOT of housing and runs available, you'll never be able to manage breeding more than one, two or possibly 3 breeds without a lot of mayhem or lots of employees.
I've had over 30 breeds and I loved many of them but I realized as an individual, I couldn't do justice to more than one breed with limited time and space.
So I picked my all time favorite. One that fends for themselves and is easy to maintain but still has fantastic qualities found in no other breed.

Which one is that? Lol. I haven't figured out my favorite yet.

Which one is that? Lol. I haven't figured out my favorite yet.
After multiple breeds, you'll figure out what suits your personality.
Definitely don't avoid more obscure breeds. There are a lot of diamonds in the rough.
Mine are black penedesencas. I have about 20 reasons they are my favs.

After multiple breeds, you'll figure out what suits your personality.
Definitely don't avoid more obscure breeds. There are a lot of diamonds in the rough.
Mine are black penedesencas. I have about 20 reasons they are my favs.
Lots of wisdom imparted here. What you start off with may or may not be what you wind up sticking with, for any number of reasons. Finding a breed, or more precisely, a line of a breed, that fares well in your environs is top of the list, so you aren't constantly tweaking everything to keep them alive and healthy. Figuring out which has the temperament you are most comfortable with would be second, taking into consideration whether you will have family members helping/interacting with them regularly. Example: I had a small flock of Black Leghorns that were nice, but I really wanted Dark Browns, and DH was distressed by their responsiveness to everything that happened around them; since they were not what I really wanted and he was troubled by them, I sold them. Cochins, he adores, so I have a lot of Cochins, and a trio of Rhode Island Reds. I have a couple of Naked Neck hens living with the largest flock of Cochins, and we noticed last year they are a thousand times better at chasing and catching bugs, grasshoppers especially, than Cochins, so this year I added more Naked Necks - mostly to serve the purpose of grasshopper control, but also because I adore their little Dr. Seuss-looking chicks :)

You will find the 1, 2, or 3 breeds you are happiest with, possibly after some trial and error. Having multiple coops and runs will always serve you well. Here, we let each group out to free range separately so there is no chance of crossbreeding, rest of the time they have large runs so there is no crowding.

Lots of wisdom imparted here. What you start off with may or may not be what you wind up sticking with, for any number of reasons. Finding a breed, or more precisely, a line of a breed, that fares well in your environs is top of the list, so you aren't constantly tweaking everything to keep them alive and healthy. Figuring out which has the temperament you are most comfortable with would be second, taking into consideration whether you will have family members helping/interacting with them regularly. Example: I had a small flock of Black Leghorns that were nice, but I really wanted Dark Browns, and DH was distressed by their responsiveness to everything that happened around them; since they were not what I really wanted and he was troubled by them, I sold them. Cochins, he adores, so I have a lot of Cochins, and a trio of Rhode Island Reds. I have a couple of Naked Neck hens living with the largest flock of Cochins, and we noticed last year they are a thousand times better at chasing and catching bugs, grasshoppers especially, than Cochins, so this year I added more Naked Necks - mostly to serve the purpose of grasshopper control, but also because I adore their little Dr. Seuss-looking chicks :)

You will find the 1, 2, or 3 breeds you are happiest with, possibly after some trial and error. Having multiple coops and runs will always serve you well. Here, we let each group out to free range separately so there is no chance of crossbreeding, rest of the time they have large runs so there is no crowding.

Yeah, my mixed dual purpose flock is pretty docile. My EE chicks seem to be very skittish. I'm not quite sure I'll like them too much, but I don't know yet. And I have so many cochins coming. I hope they are awesome.

Yeah, my mixed dual purpose flock is pretty docile. My EE chicks seem to be very skittish. I'm not quite sure I'll like them too much, but I don't know yet. And I have so many cochins coming. I hope they are awesome.
Unlike almost everyone on BYC, docile is not a trait I look for.
Skittish breed will win the day when predators are afoot.

Unlike almost everyone on BYC, docile is not a trait I look for.
Skittish breed will win the day when predators are afoot.

That's a good point. I can't let them free range in the evening anymore because the Hawks have figured it out. There can be 4 or 5 circling my yard, and those chickens could care less. I have to herd them back to the run.

The other day I had the EE chicks out in the new little coop, and I was sitting there watching them play. I thought I must have been imagining it, but they heard a hawk and they all got totally quiet and still, and low to the ground. It was strange, lol.

There is another way, besides multiple coops. But it does require you to know which hen lays which eggs, sometimes this is easy, and sometimes not so easy. And it does take longer, but I hope I have years to enjoy this hobby.

What you do is have a single rooster. And you hatch only the eggs that come from the hens that match him. Might do that for one or two years, then replace that rooster with a different breed of roosters, and repeat.

An advantage to this, is that it helps you know how old your hens are, which birds are the young birds, which birds are the older birds. And you don't have the extra coops.

Good luck

Mrs k

Back
Top Bottom