Do you have to keep food and water in both places? The coop and run?

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
I have a silly question, should food and water be kept both outside in the run as well as inside the coop? Their door is open into the coop so they are free to come and go as they please.

I'm a newb, but I put a little bucket of water out for mine. I figure they're eating a ton, no need for food
smile.png

This is my chicks 1st week getting to go outside and I only keep water outside for them. Feed is in the coop so they want to go back in. At least that was my thoughts on it.

Thanks! Seems everyone's ideas are the same on this particular subject. Food and water inside, just water outside. I was afraid having the feed outside might attract unwanted attention from any other animals around.

Today is only their second day in their run and coop and now I see they have the hang of it - going inside and out! It's fun to go out and see where they'll be!
smile.png

Well I'm going to break the mold and say that we move our food and water outside to the run on nice days, and leave it inside on yucky days. Having the food outside encouraged our chicks to go outside more. They wanted to just hang out in the coop all the time until we switched to food in the run.

I keep the free choice food inside the coop, to discourage rodent visitors as much as possible. I know we might still have a visit from a mouse or two, but so far I haven't seen any. (We also have 4 very talented mouse-catching cats). I have a rabbit style water bottle inside the coop, which doesn't leak or spill, and it keeps the bedding nice and dry while still providing some water when my girls are inside. Outside, I have a big fountain style waterer they can use. We feed greens and any treats outside, too.

Back
Top Bottom