Do you incubate for fun OR profit?/How do you justify the $$

Some people spend thousands on planes because flying is their hobby.
Some people spend thousands on cameras because photography is their hobby.
Some people spend thousands on cars because racing is thier hobby.

Aside from hatcheries, most individuals will fall in the hobby category. You buy what you can, with what you have, and enjoy it. Its what makes a hobby a hobby.

PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who spend thousands for Super Bowl tickets are supporting a hobby, so am I, it just happens to be chickens. I love them. Each time I think I will scale down, I order more eggs to hatch to build the flock back to over a hundred or two. I am actually down to 58 this week but just ordered 3 dozen eggs from Jody today. Don't plan on profit, just ENJOY the eggs, fresh meat, smiles when giving away dozens of eggs each week.

Definitly a hobby. Though the eggs we sell do pay for the feed. But I would not trade them for nothing. I love them

More hobby than profit. Though I do make money off of chicks and/or eggs, I don't deny that, it isn't very much. Most of the hatches are for my breeding programs, my enjoyment of the hatching, chicks, and adults, or for me to have food in the form of chicken.
smile.png

I incubate for fun AND Profit. I have been incubating year round. While I was learning I gave the chicks away for free. Now, I incubate for money. No advertising or anything, all word of mouth. Depending on what the person Wants, I will charge a fixed amount, so no matter what happens I get paid, or for less risk, but possibly more money, I charge per chick. I have a real nice avey incubator that has outstanding rates, which I use for other people. When hatching for myself, I like my cheap, still air, old hovabator. Easier to use is the only reason, since hatch rates are lower.

If you enjoy incubating, it can pay for itself! The money I made this year goes towards my own hatches, and food.

Mark

I incubate for the breeds I want, which are rare breeds but I also incubate for profit. I bought all my stuff used from the farm magazines and craigslist a piece at a time. Now I am set up to hatch lots of birds and I sell about 2000 chicks every Spring. What I make in the Spring more than pays for my expenses for the whole year.

It's definitely a hobby for me but I'm selling the chicks I hatch out.. It's not very much since I only get $2 per chick but I only have 1 incubator (Hova Bator) and it generally gives me enough money to put some gas in my vehicle or buy some feed... If you figure out the time involved, the amount of hours involved is far more than the profit... Hmmm... Lets see... The most I could hatch out at one time is about 70.. That's $140 (if ALL hatched) for 26 days (figuring in one or two late hatchers plus a day or two of finding a buyer unless you already have one lined up) or 624 hours.... That's $.22 an hour!! ROFL!!!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom