1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you isolate a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kiya4jah, May 5, 2009.

1. kiya4jah

kiya4jah Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I am going to let me Domique hatch, can I leave her in the coop or should I move her to her own pad until the chicks hatch? If so, should this be done at night?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Move her so she has her own private place.

Otherwise, other hens will drive her from the nest or when she gets off the nest to eat, drink and poo other hens will likely get in her box and lay and when she comes back she will pick another nest box with eggs and of course the eggs you want to hatch will go bad.
    I simply put my broody's in a wire dog cage, works like a charm.
    I put foot and water in and clean up her poo once a day.

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Definitely seperate her. I have a broody hen who went broody on April 5 and other hens got into her nest and cracked eggs, she kept adding eggs (she was trying to set on 18!) and it was a mess!

I finally got her moved into an old cage I had, but if you do move her into a cage, do it at night. I tried to move her in during the day and she flipped out, but at night she was fine with it.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Definitely do all your dealings with her at night. Some hens are less determined than others, and might get spooked off their nest, never to return. I try to make the transition as seamless as possible. Sometimes you can just put a barricade around the hen right where she's made her nest, or move her inside the nest box to the secluded location. Or slide a cardboard box up under her & her nest and move it all together. But if that's going to be too much fuss, you can try moving her separately from the eggs. Often the sight of those egglings in the new nest box is enough to inspire the hen to get right back on them.

I wish you & your hen the greatest of success! It's so fun to watch a Mama hen tending to her chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by