Do You Keep Your Rabbits INDOORS or OUTDOORS?

Do You Keep Your Rabbits INDOORS or OUTDOORS???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Vote in the poll above.
Also, reply above to give further information such as if you think it is cruel to keep a rabbit outside, in a cage, etc.

Mine are out in my shed. They have either hutches or cages. They are let out individually to run on a regular basis. Some choose not to come out when offered the options. Mine can see each other. Boys in one area, girls in another.

When I had more than one rabbit a few years ago, I kept all three outside until one died of heatstroke. So then the other two moved inside and mainly stayed in their cages. They both eventually passed, so my new rabbit is spoiled and gets to roam my bedroom whenever I’m home.
But anyway, I think keeping rabbits outside is good for helping control their smell and it gives them natural sunlight, fresh air, fresher grass/plants to eat, and probably a better immunity to the stuff outside. Indoor rabbits don’t really get natural sunlight or fresh air unless they are brought outside (which is kinda a pain to do). But inside, they are safer from predators. But yeah, keeping rabbits in cages isn’t necessarily cruel, for it’s kind of like a form of protection from some of the dangers they might face.

I don't have rabbits but this is what I think.

I think that they shouldn't be in cages since it does not provide nearly enough room (even big ones) for them to exercise and explore. Rabbits are much like cats, though they don't play fetch like a dog they do need plenty of space to run and play. Hutches are also small and have the same problem, and the heat and cold can hurt them. They are also vulnerable to predators out there, even if the animal doesn't kill them it can give them a heart attack and they'll die.
I'm working on an article about them and here's what I have so far on cages and hutches

The Problem with Cages:

Can you imagine putting an energetic puppy trapped inside a cage he could only (barely) pace back and forth in all day? Sadly, that’s what it’s like for a lot of rabbits. Often times they can’t even stand or hop around. Instead, they get depressed, and aggressive from pent up energy and fear from lack of bonding. Rabbits love to run across the house, and have hiding places, and explore in a safe environment. These small do not provide nearly enough space. Not even a fraction of the amount of space needed.

The Problem with Hutches:

Rabbits can become very overheated in summers, get too cold in winter, and in storms or bad weather. They are also vulnerable to any predators that might be in your yard. Even if you don’t think you have them, they’ll know when there’s a rabbit they could eat for lunch. A lot of hutches a snake could get through, or a raccoon could open, or a coyote could tear apart. Even if they don’t get to the rabbit the rabbit could die from a heart attack. And, like cages, hutches just don’t provide enough space. Even the ones with multiple stories. They need room to run in, and they don’t really like being up high. Though some people let them outside of the hutch to play they could get picked up by a hawk in a heartbeat. No matter how big you think your rabbit is, hawks can carry away even small dogs. Though you can let them outside, it needs to be in cooler weather under close supervision for short amounts of time a day.

If you free roam them inside a bunny-proofed house you can bond with them, they're safe from harsh weather, safe from predators, and they'll live a much longer, healthier, and happier life. You can look at Lennon The Bunny on YouTube. Lorelei, Lennon's owner, has a bunch of great info on free-roaming rabbits, grooming, training, supplies, bunny proofing, and much more.

I don't know a whole lot on raising rabbits for meat, but I would at least avoid keeping in small hutches. If you can build an insulated barn that you can free range them in, and let them have supervised time outside, that would really benefit their health.
I love rabbits and other animals, but I do support raising them for food. When buying meat, I would want to be sure that the animal had a healthy life.

We have a Jersey Wooly that is an indoor bun. He has a large run that he spends most of his time in. We have dogs so he doesn’t get to roam the house unless they are put up. He’s got tons of toys and things to play with. He loves to come snuggle on the couch and hang out with the husband. No problems with him in the house. He’s “litter box” trained so even the minimal smell he has is easily taken care of.

I don't have rabbits but this is what I think.

I think that they shouldn't be in cages since it does not provide nearly enough room (even big ones) for them to exercise and explore. Rabbits are much like cats, though they don't play fetch like a dog they do need plenty of space to run and play. Hutches are also small and have the same problem, and the heat and cold can hurt them. They are also vulnerable to predators out there, even if the animal doesn't kill them it can give them a heart attack and they'll die.
I'm working on an article about them and here's what I have so far on cages and hutches

The Problem with Cages:

Can you imagine putting an energetic puppy trapped inside a cage he could only (barely) pace back and forth in all day? Sadly, that’s what it’s like for a lot of rabbits. Often times they can’t even stand or hop around. Instead, they get depressed, and aggressive from pent up energy and fear from lack of bonding. Rabbits love to run across the house, and have hiding places, and explore in a safe environment. These small do not provide nearly enough space. Not even a fraction of the amount of space needed.

The Problem with Hutches:

Rabbits can become very overheated in summers, get too cold in winter, and in storms or bad weather. They are also vulnerable to any predators that might be in your yard. Even if you don’t think you have them, they’ll know when there’s a rabbit they could eat for lunch. A lot of hutches a snake could get through, or a raccoon could open, or a coyote could tear apart. Even if they don’t get to the rabbit the rabbit could die from a heart attack. And, like cages, hutches just don’t provide enough space. Even the ones with multiple stories. They need room to run in, and they don’t really like being up high. Though some people let them outside of the hutch to play they could get picked up by a hawk in a heartbeat. No matter how big you think your rabbit is, hawks can carry away even small dogs. Though you can let them outside, it needs to be in cooler weather under close supervision for short amounts of time a day.

If you free roam them inside a bunny-proofed house you can bond with them, they're safe from harsh weather, safe from predators, and they'll live a much longer, healthier, and happier life. You can look at Lennon The Bunny on YouTube. Lorelei, Lennon's owner, has a bunch of great info on free-roaming rabbits, grooming, training, supplies, bunny proofing, and much more.

I don't know a whole lot on raising rabbits for meat, but I would at least avoid keeping in small hutches. If you can build an insulated barn that you can free range them in, and let them have supervised time outside, that would really benefit their health.
I love rabbits and other animals, but I do support raising them for food. When buying meat, I would want to be sure that the animal had a healthy life.
You’re definitely right about cages and their affects on rabbits. I used to keep mine in his cage all the time and stupidly wondered why he was aggressive and seemed to hate me. I thought it was just because rabbits from rural king are mean. But after watching Lennon/Lorelei videos, I have began letting him out and beginning to bond with him and bunny proofing the room to let him roam. I felt bad about how I had kept my past rabbits confined to their cages for most of their lives and didn’t provide them quality toys/entertainment.
I also like how you compared rabbits to cats and dogs. It’s totally accurate because rabbits do love to toss toys (baby toys are great for them to play with) and they can be trained to use a litter box. They’re way too intelligent to be stuck in a small prison all day with a box to chew and hide in.

I keep my two male rabbits in separate dog pens in the garage. It experiences outdoor temperatures, but is safe from predators. It is not an optimal set-up in my opinion, and they do not get to interact with humans often. However, we are allergic to rabbits so they cannot be in the house, and we do not have the ability to keep them outside. One of them does not like being outdoors (he has pink-colored eyes and is very sensitive to sunlight. When he is taken outdoors he sits still the entire time, or goes back to the garage.) and the other one is rather an escape artist.
Is it cruel to keep rabbits in a cage? I would not say it is cruel outright, but it is probably not optimal for the rabbit's happiness and well-being.

I have backyard meat rabbits. We use large hutches with private fenced runs. The hutches are for night time and rainy days (since rabbits can get nasty parasites if their fur stays wet), and the breeding stock are all let out on dry days so they can behave the way rabbits behave. They dig, chin, graze on fresh cut browse, wallow in dust piles etc. also, the hutches all have boards in them so they can get off the wire.

Grow outs are caged (with cardboard islands in the cages, again) but I rotate letting them run the rest of the yard with the chickens and ducks. My grow outs are social as I handle them daily, so they will come running to me when I call.

I know different things work for different people, but for me the whole point of me raising my own meat was to allow the animals to behave the way their instincts drive them while they’re alive.

We had one retired doe in our house but she hated it. She was too hot and didn’t like the indoor life. We moved her back outside to a retirement hutch/run and she’s much happier. She adores antagonizing the neighbor’s dogs.

My daughter now has a pet mini lionlop in her room in the custom cage I had originally built for the retired meat doe, and he’s quite happy there. We build him toys from scrap wood and sisal, and he gets brushed and handled and cuddled daily.

Okay but y’all have to see this guy he looks straight out of an 80’s hair band

55160C58-9F71-483A-AC92-99841AF87115.jpeg

I have backyard meat rabbits. We use large hutches with private fenced runs. The hutches are for night time and rainy days (since rabbits can get nasty parasites if their fur stays wet), and the breeding stock are all let out on dry days so they can behave the way rabbits behave. They dig, chin, graze on fresh cut browse, wallow in dust piles etc. also, the hutches all have boards in them so they can get off the wire.

Grow outs are caged (with cardboard islands in the cages, again) but I rotate letting them run the rest of the yard with the chickens and ducks. My grow outs are social as I handle them daily, so they will come running to me when I call.

I know different things work for different people, but for me the whole point of me raising my own meat was to allow the animals to behave the way their instincts drive them while they’re alive.

We had one retired doe in our house but she hated it. She was too hot and didn’t like the indoor life. We moved her back outside to a retirement hutch/run and she’s much happier. She adores antagonizing the neighbor’s dogs.

My daughter now has a pet mini lionlop in her room in the custom cage I had originally built for the retired meat doe, and he’s quite happy there. We build him toys from scrap wood and sisal, and he gets brushed and handled and cuddled daily.

Okay but y’all have to see this guy he looks straight out of an 80’s hair band

View attachment 2234468
What an adorable little bun!

I have two fixed male rabbits that live comfortably outside in a hutch that my father built. The hutch has tons of shade within it so I have never had much issue with heat stroke but I have had to bring them into the garage during the blizzards we get in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom