Do you know how to cut glass?

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
I have ten giant glass bottles. I think that most of them used to be old style water cooler bottles. Three are Italian wine bottles which held about thirty gallons of wine - these things are huge. They belonged to my MIL. Now we're cleaning them off and I want to use them as she did - as terrariums.

MIL planted small decorative plants in her terrarium setups so she left the bottles intact. I want to plant herbs and vegetables so I need to cut a hole in the side big enough to reach my hand in and harvest the plants. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? My searches have only produced results for cutting off the tops of bottles.

Thanks.

I'm wondering if you could take them (or call by phone) local glass suppliers and ask them if they have the equipment to do this. I once saw someone cut a glass bottle by tying a string around the bottle, soaking it in alcohol, then setting the alcohol on fire. I'm not saying this will work, and I've never tried it myself, and I don't know that it would work on a jar/bottle that size -- the one I saw was smaller, like a regular wine bottle or something of that nature. I do hope you find a solution.

I've seen that method but only for cutting off the tops of bottles. Your idea is good. I'll try searching for local glass crafters online instead.

Back
Top Bottom