Do you let them out in the winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tara7815, Sep 20, 2009.

1. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    I'm going to have mostly rhode island reds and a few bantams. I live in CT. Winters can be pretty cold. Do you keep them inside the coop most of the time or do you give them the option of going outside??

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I let them choose.. they can go in and out at will..
    I have a small pop door that i use in the winter, so i dont have to keep the big/main door open..

edited to add..i always lock them inside at night though...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Let them out in winter?...............Here We Do!!!

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We allow ours the choice of going out or staying inside. We unroll a large round bale of hay (not straw)inside the run(although the chickens have the option of free ranging)and the ground does not freeze under the hay. Bugs stay alive under the hay and they scratch for them. While scratching for bugs and finding seeds in the hay, some of the seeds drop to the ground and sprout very eary in the spring for them to have some greens to eat. They seem to enjoy the deep hay. We will see some chickens snuggled down in it for afternoon naps even in the coldest weather.

5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:OK, help me out... what exactly is winter in Phoenix? [​IMG] Do you have to wear a sweater or just long sleeves?

OK, I live in Ohio, if the temp drops down below 20 I usually keep them in or just let them out for a short time in mid day. If it gets to single digits or below I do not let them out. I had EE and Buckeyes though and they are cold weather tolerant. This will be my first year with comets and they have a single comb so I'll have to see how they do.

My EE layed as long as it was at least 20 so they weren't too stressed.

PS. I did put a little vasaline on their combs when it was really cold. But last winter was realllllllllly cold here. We had about 3 wks straight with temps in the single digits or colder. I only did it twice.

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:I like the hay Idea. Thanks.[​IMG]

7. Monk

Monk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    I always give my birds the option to go outside year round.

8. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I collect bags of leaves all fall. After it snows I throw a bag out into the run. They love it.. they do not love the snow. Great layered compost when Spring arrives.[​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I let my girls out year round and I live in NH where we had temps last year down to -25 degrees. They hate snow and wind, though, so I completely enclose part of their run in white plastic sheeting. In the enclosed area I use the deep litter method to keep the ground from getting mucky and wet. They spend all of their time in that area of the run. With the wind blocked and the snow off the ground that space is actually toasty warm on sunny days.

10. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I give them the choice, I'm in MA. and it gets cold, if only b/c of wind chill. But they hate the snow, so i shovel to the ground if possible and throw some of their favorite treat to temp them. Alot of times they don't fall for it.

Anyway, my feeling is, if they go outside, they poop outside and thats a good thing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by