Do you let your ducks sit or do you incubate?

MegInTexas

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2021
Our khaki campbells will soon be laying. We are keeping this flock for eggs as well as meat, so I will want to hatch some of the eggs. I was hoping to get pros and cons of letting the hens sit and hatch the eggs versus incubating them.

Thanks!

They have to be broody to sit, so you might have to incubate if your ducks don't go broody. If you want a guaranteed broody (for the most part - because everything needs a disclaimer these days), you should get muscovy. Muscovy are considered meat birds, they are good broodies, and apparently the meat tastes like steak.

Last edited:
Some ducks when they go broody can loose a lot of weight and become unhealthy. So you may need to break their broodiness for their own health. Some will also be good about hatching the eggs but may not care for the ducklings. Each duck is different. You will also need to be able to separate out mother and ducklings.

I have pekins and runners, which I've had for almost a year. Got them all around a yr old. None of them have gone broody yet so an incubator has been my only option thus far. Seeing my pullet go broody and hatch some chicks makes me think that I would prefer the mama to go broody and do all that work for me, as long as she's a good mama.

Some ducks when they go broody can loose a lot of weight and become unhealthy. So you may need to break their broodiness for their own health. Some will also be good about hatching the eggs but may not care for the ducklings. Each duck is different. You will also need to be able to separate out mother and ducklings.
I've definitely broken broodies. Muscovy are so determined. She likes to nest in the chicken coop - which I remove her from repeatedly. Finally, I had to trim her wings so that she doesn't hop and fly over the separating fence. I've had her separated for over a week. The first few days she just paced back and forth trying to figure out how to get back over. Just yesterday I opened the fence for the ducks and chickens to mingle if they wanted. The first thing she did was head to the chicken coop. When I went to get her, she was just poking around and investigating. But, I have no doubt she was still a bit hormonal and could snap back into broodiness. Muscovy are very determined broodies. I just don't have the time or space for more ducks.

Back
Top Bottom