Do you make butter from your goat milk?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I am looking forward to my girls kidding and being able to make things with my fresh milk. I would really like to make butter, but I understand that is pretty difficult with goat milk because of the natural homogenization. I would like to buy a cream separator, but those are prohibitivly expensive for me right now. Is it feasible for me to skim enough cream from the milk of one goat to make butter? I imagine we will be drinking it too quickly for that, but you never know. So does anyone with goats make their own butter?

Goat milk will fill you up faster than cows milk. My GF made butter in a pint jar. She thought that I would be thrilled to help shake the jar. WRONG! I got tricked into pumping a churn when I was a kid; not again. The butter was very creamy but she did not want salt in it. I suggest salt. She used straight milk. We have 1 goat that produces alot of milk and 1 with a tighter udder that produces very rich milk. Both are Nubians. Rich milk works just fine. I like the cheese and all my neighbors do too. 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of milk. Just takes a few minutes more than pasteurizing it. Good luck. I bet you get a waiting list for cheese!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom