Do you name your birds

Some of them. If a name pops up in my mind and sticks, it gets a name.
Roofuss, a young 'roo who made a fuss over a snake; earned himself a permanent place in the flock.
Colonel Sanders, a cockerel. Makes good chicken (to eat).
Scarlet. The only red hen I can tell apart from the others.
Christmas. Grandkids named her.
Goldie. King Roo with a golden mane.
Scaredy-cat. A black pullet who's scared of everything and everyone.

The rest - about 70-ish of them - are nameless layers, or youngsters to become layers or dinner. There're just too many lookalikes.

Yes, but not if they're food birds or utilitarian birds. Names make it harder come butcher day. My pet ones though- the seramas, and my favorites, all get a name.

Right now I have
Starboy (gamecock)
Lil' Man
Be-beep
Black tie affair
Serbie
Angel
Are all seramas and I have two game hens without names.

My chickens names this time around are Eeny, Meenie, Miney, and Moe.

Eeny and Meenie died, though, under mysterious circumstances, sadly. 😢 Miney and Moe just started laying :love

Some have names some don't. There really is no rhyme or reason to me naming a chicken besides me liking one and deciding to name it. Sometimes I give a fancy name and change it to something stupid. For example, my silver laced wyandotte was originally some fancy name that I can't remember and now I just call her "Sharpie" because I think silver laced look like someone got a hold of them with a sharpie. Now my ducks all have different names besides my three blue fawn mallard colored sisters. They are just Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II and Elizabeth III. They look so much alike that the one I have been calling Elizabeth I very well may have been originally Elizabeth III...or Elizabeth II who knows🤷

Back
Top Bottom