Do you need a coop inside a barn?

Kim2

Ooops I did it again!
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
My neighbor who has a pole barn wants to enclose an area for some chickens. Would he need to actually build a coop inside there? It will be cycloned wire with electric fence to pervent preditors. I told him he would need some perches, nesting boxes. Does he also need a shelter area? They will be under a metal roof with only one two sides cycloned. Those sides are not open to the eliments the chicken area will be towards the back of the barn.
Oh and it gets to the low thirties and only a couple days maybe high twenties.

I will pass on all information and opinions.

Like Mahonri mentioned, it really depends on how predator proof the actual barn is.

One of my friends put a small shed inside her large barn for her chickens. It does help provide additional protection from wind, rain, and snow. And because the chickens are all together in a smaller space, they stay warmer at night without additional heat.

I walked over and looked. The area in the back of the barn has a cement floor. He was saying he would cyclone an area off, run hot wire on the outside of the cyclone panals.
The barn is completely open on one side, the other three sides are solid siding with a metal roof. He said with the cement floor and hot wire on the cyclone he feels that will keep most things out, including his own dogs. He is concerned about it being okay temp wise mentioned in the first post. What do you guys think?

Next question is: Where do you live?

I'd say if the barn isn't predator proof then he's doing a good thing.

Next question is: Where do you live?

I'd say if the barn isn't predator proof then he's doing a good thing.

So, instead of a fully enclosed barn, is this what we call here a "run-in" type of shed? There are only three walls, not four?

Things to think about are whether it's drafty, making sure the top is enclosed and how big the openings in the wire are. Drafts combined with cold would be a problem. Birds of prey could fly in and come in through the top, so I'd make sure the walls go to the ceiling or that he adds a top to the enclosure. I'd also use a wire with small openings for the bottom, like 1/2" hardware cloth, to prevent weasels from slipping in or raccoons from reaching through.

They'll need somewhere to be totally out of the wind even when the wind is from the open side.

Also, be aware weasels can get thru cyclone fence openings.

Good luck,

Pat

They'll need somewhere to be totally out of the wind even when the wind is from the open side.

Also, be aware weasels can get thru cyclone fence openings.

Good luck,

Pat

I agree with the other posts. Also, will your neighbor be getting chicks or more fully developed chickens. Chick need warmth and no draft until they feather out,
jumpy.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom