Do you persist with handling the young chicks that don't like it? **SUCCESS** :)

I suggest being bold and confident in handling your chicks, But balance that with a good dose of kindness when you handle your birds. Just remember that you are so much bigger than they are and they can't hurt you. No matter how much Cinnamon flaps and struggles, YOU have the upper hand. Try enticing her with treats and calm behaviour whenever you interact with her. It may take some time and patience, but I think you can win her confidence.

I've "tamed" many wild animals with this technique. It works for me and perhaps it will work for you.
Good luck.

I think handling your chicks is always a good idea, otherwise they may become a bit skittish, or even afraid of you. I spend a lot of time with my young ones, up to and beyond three months of age and more..

They all come running to me when I come outside, and they follow me obediently into their pen and coop when I need them to. Of course they are looking for treats; but still...
wink.png

Its mainly about the time you spend with them and personality's when i used to sit in the coop with mine they would jump on my shoulder and every thing after not spending so much time in there the same ones wont even let me pick them up! I had some skittish chickens no mater what i did they would barely even take food from me.

It is easier with a small flock, but I think it's important that your chickens are comfortable being handled just in case you need to medicate or treat an injury. An ill bird is already stressed and having to chase them around causes more distress. If they are used to contact, they can be taken care of without undue duress to them or you.

An added bonus I've found is that "friendly" chickens can help make a case for keeping poultry in an area that may want to outlaw chickens.

My problem with the handling thing with mine is I got all 8 when they were all around 20 week old. There personalities were pretty much set. In about 2 months they will be a year old. Some are friendlier than others. Strange as it may sound but Bob, the rooster is the most trusting one I have. Around me he acts as though he has all the faith in me not to do anything to harm him or his flock. Next is the EE. I don't "handle" any of um unless I have to, but some are just more trusting than the others. The month old chicks can be another story. I've picked them up from time to time with little fuss, but mama, that's another story. Still she's gettin better. I just don't plan to make the chickens play toys. I want them somewhat "skittish" considering they range all day. When and if I have to medicate any of um I'll just have to catch each one instead of having them march up on a table and lay down.
smile.png

I handle all of mine from day one but even with that my seabright hen Trouble still doesn't like being caught she's calm when I can catch her she's very hard to catch because she's very quick

Im having the exact problem at the moment to i have had all my chickens as day olds and they are super friendly my 4 shavers are proper lap chickens in fact im pretty sure they dont even realise they are chooks ha ha ha but they do give me 4 huge eggs everyday so im obviously doing something right and to be honest i secretly love the fact they love me he he he , now i have 2 silkies 1 orpington and an ee got these at day old so they to were inside the house with us for a while they are now 8 weeks old and have been out with the big girls for couple weeks now and thankfully becouse my shavers are so friendly they have accepted them great obviously with some boundaries they even allow them to sleep in the bedroom with them at night and dont worry about laying there eggs next to them ,these babies are super friendly now and when i go into the coop they all run to me and climb up into my neck its so lovely ,My problem is the two chicks i picked up couple of days ago from a breeder 1 frizzle and 1 aracanna they are 7 weeks old and are so nervous and skitish its unreal the aracanna is the worst by far they are settling into there coop ok now but will they let me near them not a chance and even when the other babies go to check them out the aracanna freaks out and makes a hell of a noise running round which then makes all the others go mad wondering whats happening ,I pick them up for a few mins at night when all is calm should i just keep doing this and hope they will eventually calm down or do i just leave them be ? there is alot to be said about raising chicks from day olds they seem to be much happier chickens , and i must admit i did worry when the breeder had to catch them in the coop with a net ! i just hope they become friendly like my others .

Back
Top Bottom