Do you prefer one layer's egg over another?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Equest94, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    I have one EE X Sultan hen and two red sex-link hens. Although I would take a fresh egg over a store bought egg any day (people laugh and me and tell me there's no difference in taste b/w fresh and bought...but THERE IS!!! [​IMG]), I do look forward to eggs from my EE mix especially more. Her eggs are much smaller than my sex-links but man, those eggs are hardy little things and they seem to sit a bit better. I love fried eggs (over-easy) for breakfast and I noticed when cracking them into the pan, my EE mix's eggs seem to be more thick and the sex links seem a bit more thin and the egg-whites seem a tad "watery" (it tends to spread thin covering the whole surface of the pan). Of course the sex-link's eggs seem better for cooking (pies, cakes, cookies...etc).

I don't know, maybe I am just a bit biased because I like my EE more.... [​IMG]

Does anyone else notice a difference between their laying hens [of different breeds]? Which egg is better?
    (is there really a difference or am I starting to loose my mind? lol)

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Wish I could give an opinion, but I only have one girl laying right now. I have to say though, there is definitely a taste difference between home-grown fresh eggs and store bought ones.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Same here!

4. jenniescholl

jenniescholl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    California
    Does anyone else notice a difference between their laying hens [of different breeds]? Which egg is better?
    (is there really a difference or am I starting to loose my mind? lol

Oh, I absolutely notice a difference!!! I have 4 laying girls- an EE, Light Brahma, and 2 NH Reds. The EE's eggs are DEFINITELY my favorite! I love the color (beautiful light blue) and they are much tastier. Like you, I reserve her eggs for the frying pan where the kids and I can enjoy the full, rich flavor. [​IMG] I have noticed the brown eggs are a little more bland tasting- but still way better than store-bought eggs. This is my first flock ever and my girls have only been laying since 8/20- and I've got 14 more that have yet to lay!

Enjoy those tasty eggs! BTW, that awesome egg flavor has made me wish I had gotten more EE or Ameraucana chicks in March! Oh well, there's always next spring!

5. jenniescholl

jenniescholl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    California
    Ooops- the start of my last post was supposed to be a quote...still learning this!

Jen

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Watery egg whites are a sign of previous illness such as Infectious Bronchitis.

7. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Quote:Well, I'm not sure how to describe it. They're not really that watery, so to speak, I just used that for lack of a better word...they're just a bit "looser" and not as thick as my EE's. My EE's eggs have a very thick shell, very hardy yolk, and thick whites...

My sex-link hens don't appear sick (no visible sign); they seem to be a very lively bunch, they eat well and I have all the supplements out for them to free choice from; however, unlike my other chickens, I haven't raised them, I got from a neighbor as already gown and proven layers, so their past medical history is unknown to me... [​IMG]

If by chance they did have IB...can they still be contagious? How "watery" is an egg white from an infected/previous infected hen? How long does the "watery-ness" last? Are the eggs still ok to eat?

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I do like the consistancy of my silkie's eggs. As tiny as they are, they are VERY tasty. My neighbor gave us some RIR eggs when we moved here, and I don't remember them being so thick. I also think the shell on my chicken's eggs seem thicker...

*Cuss* my daughter and I just collected today's lay and then came in where she flung it against the wall!!!! OMG! I was having a cow.

It was a loud THUNK and then bounced back to me... it had one tiny divet and a hair line crack. MAN that sucker is strong.... I'm going to fry it up into a sandwich now she's in bed thinking about what she's done. No egg for her breakfast tomorrow!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I have EE pullets that have recently started laying. I also have three sex-link hens belonging to my neighbour who are living in my coop for safekeeping while she makes hers more predator proof. I don't much care for the sex-links' eggs; they seem fluffier and with less consistency and I don't particularly like the flavour. On the other hand, the EE eggs are wonderful. I wonder if it's it a breed thing, or is it because the other hens are two years old? Does the taste of the eggs change as the hens age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by