1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do you provide roosting poles in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by earthy_chicks, May 7, 2007.

1. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi Everyone,
    I am finishing up my attached run and henhouse and I wondering about putting roosts in the run area. I thought it would be nice for them to sunbathe but maybe it would keep them from going back inside to roost at night? I don't know. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have 3 roosts set up in my run where there is shade. I really need to add another one because they love to sit up there in the middle of the day for shade. They jocky for the best spot. Mine won't roost outside at night the perfer to go in to the coop.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I have a roost up in my run too...matter of fact I have 4. They take advantage of the one in the sun mostly, when they feel like sun-worshiping.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    so do I. when wet, they are outside w/o being on wet ground. When it's cold they like to sit in sun on outside roost. they go in before dark, now the pigeons wait till last moment.

5. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 5 ft roost in my pen. They like to get up off the ground sometimes. They still go in at night to roost in the house. Merry

6. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    thank you all for sharing! I put up a roost in their run today:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by