Do you really need a permit for shipping?

I think the regulation steps in more when it involves from one country to another.
The regulations are on a state by state basis with each state having its own regulations. Some states are more strict than others but all states do require at the very minimum a Veterinary Certificate of Health of either the birds involved or the health of the flock in the case of hatching eggs..

So if you ship birds within your own state, no permit is required? Only if you're shipping out of state will you need proper permits?

This I don’t know good question but most would not just ship in their own state and miss the opportunity for more revenue so anyone here that ships is out of state that is closest to me. My Hatchery was in OH. One of the listed items for looking for reputable breeders and hatcheries that is recommended is to make sure you purchase from someone who is NPIP certified demonstrating a standard of good quality and following regulation set in the industry. Our state and local fairs will require anyone from out of the state to have the NPIP paperwork to show as well.

So if you ship birds within your own state, no permit is required? Only if you're shipping out of state will you need proper permits?
Most of the time, there is no permit required but you still must adhere to the USDA guidelines. That means to ship eggs or live poultry across state lines, your flock must have current NPIP certification. Each importing state will vary what that NPIP certification must include. In most states it is simply P/T clean. Some states also require the NPIP certification to include AI, MS and/or Mg clean flocks.
Some states also require a permit for importation.
In Missouri, one is supposed to have an NPIP flock in order to sell eggs or birds even within the state but many don't follow that rule.
Basically it is a national program started in the 1930s to fight salmonella pullorum which threatened the nations poultry industry. But it is administered by states who each have their own guidelines.
Call your state NPIP office and they can tell you all that is required.

Last edited:
I currently ship birds. If you go on the NPIP website, there is a link that is provided to show participating states and what they require. Each state varies. Some even require your AI testing be within 30 days so it’s not as simple as getting tested once a year. A few states require health certificates, most require a permit number, current testing, etc. Look up the regulations where your planning on shipping too and call that’s states vet. NPIP website provides their numbers as well.

I currently ship birds. If you go on the NPIP website, there is a link that is provided to show participating states and what they require. Each state varies. Some even require your AI testing be within 30 days so it’s not as simple as getting tested once a year. A few states require health certificates, most require a permit number, current testing, etc. Look up the regulations where your planning on shipping too and call that’s states vet. NPIP website provides their numbers as well.

That’s the NPIP link above I gave with all that info.

It depends on which state that you live in. Several states have regulations even for transactions within the state.

I would not be able to ship birds within my own state because the post office here sends everything out of state for sorting even if it is being delivered in the same town.
That’s such a good point. Mail can be rerouted from one postal hub to another.

Back
Top Bottom