Do you remove chicks from broody?

Shay1327

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Franklinville, NY
My broody bantam mix hatched 3 chicks (2 BA mixes and a white crested black polish). They are almost a week old and I finally moved her back outside. I let her keep one of her chicks (1 of the BA mixes) and put the other 2 in the brIooder. I was just wondering what most of you do? I was afraid to let her have all of them because she is the outcast of my flock and usually won't even sleep in the coop (she prefers a tree). I lost my Polish Roo so this is probably my only chick from them and I would be very upset if it got injured outside. I'm just wondering if I made the wrong decision?

I let my broodies hatch out and raise all their babies just because it's SO much easier on ME! I don't think leaving them with the mom or putting them in the brooder is either one wrong (did that make any sense at all??)

I think given your circumstances, your concerns are valid and if I were in your situation, I would have done exactly what you did.

I've built another outdoor area, about 12'X12' with a little house inside where my 2 broodies and their (so far) 9 babies will be safe from the others, but still able to scratch around, be in the sun/shade, and just be chickens. Check out my response to "Suburbanfarngirl", who's concerned about putting chicks under a broody hen.
I'm keeping all the babies with the mommies. I feel no one's a better mom than the mom herself.
Good luck!

I left my 6 babies with my broody silkie. I keep my turkeys and chickens together right now, and she has not had a problem holding her own. The other say a turkey got too close to one of the chicks and she really went off on it.

Well I'm glad I removed the two babies that I did. Mama is up in a tree (and has been for the last hour and a half) and her baby is nowhere to be found
sad.png
. I have been searching everywhere and can not find him.

When I went by the tree she was in she tried attacking me so I left her alone.

All I can hope is she knows where he is and as soon as the rest of the birds roost for the night she'll jump down to him, but I have pretty much given up hope.
hit.gif

I have two broodies, both are sisters, and I did remove some extra chicks from them because three chicks died. It was too much and good thing that ILRoost's lovely wife took the extra chicks I didnt need! now I have seven chicks between the two of them and they would be fine.

They are now almost a week old tomorrow. Glad that Ideal did refund my money back for those chicks I didn't order!

Oh no! This is so sad
sad.png
If you don't hear that baby peeping somewhere..... well...... I really hope its ok. Poor little thing.

Just because a mama hen sets on eggs doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a good mama. I'm so glad you took the other two babies. Given her history and your desire to keep the offspring of your roo alive, you certainly did the right thing! I hope you find that baby
fl.gif
But don't beat yourself up. I would have done the exact same thing. You took a chance and gave her the benefit of the doubt - but were smart enough to only leave her with one!

Please let us know what happens. I'm really sorry it went this way.
hugs.gif

Penny

I like to leave babies with momma, because one, THEY did all the work, I just watched, and 2 it's fun to watch the mommas teach babies to be chickens!.

I've only taken babies from momma one time, and both times because the babies were real weak at hatch, and in both cases ended up dying a few days later (both only one chick though)

Back
Top Bottom