Do You Rescue Animals?

I've rescued 4 cats.
One of em showed up at 8mos old. He looked like a zombie. His face was torn up and he was so skinny I could see all of his bones and it was so bad. My mom told me not to feed him but I snuck out and fed him Vienna sausages. He would stick around all day and loved me so much and i had not even petted him yet. Now he's a lazy chub and he's the best cat I probably will ever have. He listens to me, knows his name, knows no, down, out/in (when he's being a butt and stands in the doorway lol) and other voice commands. He also really loves other cats. Especially kittens or strays that need food. I think it's super cute that he invites strays to come eat his food. His name is Shadow.
My 2nd was from my friends farm. I picked her up on 4th of July 2013. She was the runt if the litter and they all had respiratory and eye infections due to the barn dust. Somehow she was the only survivor and I took her and literally didn't sleep except an hour or two a day for the first week because I was up all night watching her. Now she's fat and her face still looks like a kittens face. Her name is Willow.
3rd one showed up as a kitten in my yard October 2013 and was hanging out with Shadow and his stray friend Lucifer. She would suckle on my ears and rip my earrings out. She lost all my earrings. I was supposed to rehome her because I couldn't afford her but my mom liked her and didn't let me. Said if I got rid of her she would get rid of all my other pets. I had nicknamed her Pleb but since she stayed that's her name. Look up the definition of Pleb and you'll know I mean it when I say I wasn't gonna keep her lol. Pleb is a horrible name.
The last one is a little boy who ran into my friends 4th of July bonfire. They didn't know what to do with him and I couldn't take him at first, so they kept him in a cage for like 2 days in the heat. I was mad when I found out. So I took him even though I definitely can't afford him and am now in debt because he had some serious vet bills cause of those paw burns. He also has an umbilical hernia and will probably need surgery when he's older. His name is Arthur.
I also have rescued chickens. 2 of them have really screwed up toes, and the rooster was living in a dog cage with a bunch of other roosters. The others were just from a bad situation.
My family is kinda abusive to me and my pets though. Especially my dog, but I need him- he's my emotional support animal. I'm trying really hard to get the money to leave but I just can't afford it right now especially with the newest kitten.
My life is so tough ugh

Last edited:
Hi all!
frow.gif

This is my first post here, but I figured why not!
My family and I have rescued dogs and other animals before. Two of them are very notable!
My family is only dog people. We don't hate cats, but we don't plan on keeping any anytime soon! We currently have four dogs. But our first dog ever was a Great Pyrenees named Sadie. She was such a saint! Very sweet!! But her past wasn't as good to her. Sadie was found with her other siblings up in a canyon, tied to a tree and left to die with no food or water. Thank god they didn't die of heat, and they must have been starving. When they were rescued, all her siblings got sold except for her. Then she became ours! One day, we found a small wound that showed she had been shot before, with a BB gun. So sad! How can people abuse such innocent beings? She passed away at 14.

Next was Bear, our Saint Bernard. He was previously owned by a man, and when that man found a girlfriend they stayed together for a while. Then the two must have broken up, and he dumped his Saint Bernard in her home! She probably had NO idea what she was doing, and bought cheap dog food. [The cheap Walmart brand
barnie.gif
] He was kept outside 24/7, no matter the conditions, in a small yard filled with dog feces. He had a collar on so tight, that when his fur grew and became all twisted and matted, it began to grow around the collar. His fur was so twisted and matted, it got to his skin and must've hurt! We saw an ad on our local classifieds website for a free Saint Bernard and when to pick the poor guy up. We had no choice but to shave him, and now he's the sweetest, happiest dog! He nine years.

We've also rescued our Chesapeake bay retriever mix from the shelter after he was found roaming the streets in Idaho.

I was looking for some posts to read up and couldn't help but notice this one!

I am a Veterinary Nurse and so obviously helping animals is in my blood (and work!).

I have hand raised a number of kittens over the last few years (3 of which I kept). And I currently foster a dog for the Homeless and Abused Animal Rescue Team in Perth, Western Australia. :)

My first hand raised kitten was found in a auto workshop in October 2011 and was posted on facebook as needing a home! It came up in my newsfeed as my girlfriend has commented on it so I called her immediately and let her know that kitten needed to come home with us! She was about 2-3 weeks old MAX! Of course, we fell madly in love with her and couldn't bear to part with her, so she stayed with us and became "Bubbles".
Only about 8 weeks after finding Bubbles, a little boy and girl were found out bush and again, it was a friend of my girlfriend - so this time she called me to see if we could take them. She was told they were about 5 weeks and I thought 'this will be a piece of cake!'. They arrived to us that afternoon and they were more like 5 DAYS old! They thrived fairly well, but unfortunately the little boy became quite sick one night and we had to rush him to the emergency vet as he had starting vomiting and had basically became comatose :( Unfortunately due to my own funding the best option for him was to be euthanased. After that happening, again I couldn't bear to part with his little sister, so she became my "Boo-Boo"!
The following year, at the peak kitten 'season' time, a little darling was found on campus at my work - she was also about 2 weeks old. So again, I took her home and raised her. I had organised to try and find her a home so I wouldn't keep anymore cats but unfortunately when it came down to it again, I couldn't let her leave either! Some friends had named her while I was caring for her and that name stuck - "Miss Kitty Fantastico", and that she is :)

I have hand raised some more since starting fostering for a rescue, and I have been able to give them up a lot better now! It is always the best feeling knowing they will be going into a loving home to live out their days!
I am now focused on being on hand to bottle raise any babies who need it, as I can't keep too many more older cats in my house as I now have 6 of my own!!

I can't wait to read so many more stories hopefully!! :)

Back
Top Bottom