Do you see what I see? Let play spot the predator.

Mama_in_the_Dell

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Senoia
4198D37B-1A17-420B-BB31-6F98BCD51680.jpeg

Yesterday we had a hawk show up around 10am. I had my older girls out but no one sounded any alarms. I just went outside to sit with them and noticed distress in the coop with my 4 youngest. The hawk must have really scared them maybe even perching above the run as everything was turned over and two of them had some kind of head injury. Then I looked around and realized my older girls were nowhere to be seen. Once I gathered them up in their pen I saw the hawk in my neighbors yard. Their chickens were out but apparently hiding and that thing was relentlessly searching for them. I kid you not that thing stayed there all day. It moved from tree to tree from time to time but I could tell from the surrounding nature sounds and the alertness of my girls that it was still there at dusk even though I could not see it. I’ve never heard of one being so relentless and determined.

Attachments

• 769BE472-56D6-49EF-B52E-15D2D967099B.jpeg
    769BE472-56D6-49EF-B52E-15D2D967099B.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 19D9D80D-447C-4772-8E6F-9434875D34CF.jpeg
    19D9D80D-447C-4772-8E6F-9434875D34CF.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
View attachment 1890148
Yesterday we had a hawk show up around 10am. I had my older girls out but no one sounded any alarms. I just went outside to sit with them and noticed distress in the coop with my 4 youngest. The hawk must have really scared them maybe even perching in the run as everything was turned over and two of them had some kind of head injury. Then I looked around and realized my older girls were nowhere to be seen. Once I gathered them up in their pen I saw the hawk in my neighbors yard. Their chickens were out but apparently hiding and that thing was relentlessly searching for them. I kid you not that thing stayed there all day. It moved from tree to tree from time to time but I could tell from the surrounding nature sounds and the alertness of my girls that it was still there at dusk even though I could not see it. I’ve never heard of one being so relentless and determined.
How are the 2 with head injuries? You may want to examine those more closely, the wounds could be from the Hawk.

I would consider putting up some bird netting or covering your run so the Hawk doesn't have access to the chickens.
S/He will come back. Even though I have a roofed and/or wire roof on my run, I have a Hawk that visits often, making several flybys, then sits in the tree just observing - almost like he's checking to see if there may be a way in/any weak points. I try to make sure all my wire, etc. is secure.

This video has been shared numerous times, but as you can see, even though the chickens are hiding in the coop, the Hawk basically walks right in :(

How are the 2 with head injuries? You may want to examine those more closely, the wounds could be from the Hawk.

I would consider putting up some bird netting or covering your run so the Hawk doesn't have access to the chickens.
S/He will come back. Even though I have a roofed and/or wire roof on my run, I have a Hawk that visits often, making several flybys, then sits in the tree just observing - almost like he's checking to see if there may be a way in/any weak points. I try to make sure all my wire, etc. is secure.

This video has been shared numerous times, but as you can see, even though the chickens are hiding in the coop, the Hawk basically walks right in :(
Thank you. These are my young ones in their run. The combs on my Wyandottes are what’s injured. There was a board in there with them that they liked to roost on. It was knocked over during their panic so I think that’s what did the damage. It’s my grow out coop and they have pretty much outgrown it but it’s pretty secure (overkill really) and it was closed the whole time.

I’ve been trying to get the injured ones out and clean them up with vetericyn plus but have been unsuccessful as of yet. They keep going to the part of the run where I can’t reach them and I don’t want to let the others out when the hawk is around. (I may not be able to get them to go back in.) so far they’ve been resting and putting their heads under their wings but otherwise still eating and acting normal though maybe a little more timid. Will the vetericyn be okay or is there anything else I should do to clean up the wounds?

The hawk hasn’t been interested in my chickens since I put them up. It’s been in my neighbors yard. They have silkies and smaller breeds that the hawk seems to prefer. Though I did lose one of my fresh layers in January to a hawk so I know they will attack if given the chance.

Attachments

• 58225A13-A064-4ABD-A844-8F712DB08E59.jpeg
    58225A13-A064-4ABD-A844-8F712DB08E59.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom