Do you spoil your silkies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Oct 31, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I made up my mind when I got my latest chicks that I would not spoil the two silkies, Jethro and Ellie Mae; no way. It's worked out well so far, they hold their own very well against the much bigger chickens.
    The thing is, they are starting to grow on me. Initially not wanted for anything but broodiness, now I find them kinda cute and love their quirky little ways.
    So, the other night it got very cold suddenly. Worried that the two little silkies would be too cold, especially since they don't roost with the other birds, I decided to help them out. I lined a cat kennel with some hay and put them in there that night. The next day the weather warmed up again, so I didn't put them in there again. I set the kennel up on top of my isolation crate, but didn't remove it from the coop.
    Tonight I go out near dusk to check on the younger ones and couldn't figure out what Ellie Mae was doing. He/she kept jumping up in the air, trying to get to the top of the isolation crate, but kept missing.
    I finally figured out that she wanted back in her little kennel, so I got some fresh hay, lined the kennel with it and gave Ellie a boost up.
    Do you spoil yours so? I need that kennel back up at the house, for our cats visits to the vet. I'm thinking of buying a tiny little dog house, with just a large enough entrance for the silkies to get in, but not the other birds.
    Have the silkies put a spell on me?
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. You have been sucked in. [​IMG]

I have a chair in my silkie pen and that is where I usually end up to sit for a spell. I was out there tonight enjoying the sunset with two babies in my lap. They are such nutty little birds that it is a joy to just watch them.

I have considered selling off the LF and just doing silkies. [​IMG]
  3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    The Silkies Have You Under A Spell And U Will Never Come Out Of It!!! You Will Have To Get More And More Silkies And Spoil Them!!!
  4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Something about my Silkies makes me spoil just can't help it, lol.
  5. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    There really is something very special and endearing about silkies. [​IMG]

6. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have 2 little silkies who are in their own little coop by the back door. They stand at the door and wait for treats [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have considered a silkies only coop, but I think they would miss their friends in the big coop. For the time being, I took the door off of the little kennel. Now Ellie Mae can sleep in her own room whenever she wants to. [​IMG]
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I DO treat my 11 Silkies better than all the other chickens. I admit it. They have a separate coop (read rabbit hutch) and run.

Over the summer I built a shelter for them out of firring strips, plastic roofing, and a canvas tarp for a windbreak. I like to sit under it with them in the rain as they eat from their fancy feeders and sit on the little pallet roost I made for them (the roost is resting on concrete blocks).

Then there is the making sure they get to come out to fresh grass everyday (I let them out when I can watch for hawks). When I say "Silkies, free range!" they all come running out of their pen.

Then I say, "Silkies, shoo!" in a sing-song voice, and kind of herd them with my actions, and they all obediently trot back in the pen.

9. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I already fully intend to spoil them every chance I get, once I get them! Otherwise, what fun are they? [​IMG]
  10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    LOL...I must admit I spoil mine too!!! I have 3 covered kitty litter pans & one big dog house for Mommie Silkie & her babies. But my silkies only use the covered kitty litter pans for nesting and wait in a line on the ladder at night to lift each one onto the perch with the bigger chickens. It is funny. It is the same each night and they have their routine of who goes first onto the ladder to get lifted up in order. God forbid if I would go out of order! [​IMG] LOL They sure let me know! I do occasionally find the roos chilling out in the covered kitty litter pans during the day too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by