Do you Sprout?

Thanks so much everyone, appreciate your feedback. :thumbsup
My Chickies will soon be eating organic non-gmo sprouts!
I'll let you know if they love them or hate them .... haha

I don't sprout. I have a pasture lovingly referred to as my acres of weeds. Theory is the same though.

I used something like this to overseed with a bag of this and a bag of this (conventional grasses) to help get things established. Subsequently overseeded with individual clover varieties, perrenial ryes, more buckwheat, sudangrass, panic grass, fenugreek, thyme, oregano, others.

Obviously, you will need to adjust for your region

I don't sprout. I have a pasture lovingly referred to as my acres of weeds. Theory is the same though.

I used something like this to overseed with a bag of this and a bag of this (conventional grasses) to help get things established. Subsequently overseeded with individual clover varieties, perrenial ryes, more buckwheat, sudangrass, panic grass, fenugreek, thyme, oregano, others.

Obviously, you will need to adjust for your region
Thank you. I'll look into that. I sprout fenugreek as well. I wasn't sure it was safe for chickens. I don't give them ANYTHING until I have looked it up for safety. I got into that practice after I got Levi (CAG).

What about Wheatgrass. I have grown that in the past & it grows very well. Has anyone given their chickens Wheatgrass?

Thank you. I'll look into that. I sprout fenugreek as well. I wasn't sure it was safe for chickens. I don't give them ANYTHING until I have looked it up for safety. I got into that practice after I got Levi (CAG).
Fengreek is perfectly safe for chickens, and is one of the better (well, the seeds anyways) sources of the critical amino acid Methionine, which is frankly damned hard to find in a green source. The entire reason I planted it. I bought a big bag of Anthony's specifically for that purpose, in hopes I could get some established in my pasture. Like some of my clovers, its barely hanging on.

oh, and yes, plenty sprout wheetgrass - but its not particularly valuable nutritionally, so the economics are questionable.

Fengreek is perfectly safe for chickens, and is one of the better (well, the seeds anyways) sources of the critical amino acid Methionine, which is frankly damned hard to find in a green source. The entire reason I planted it. I bought a big bag of Anthony's specifically for that purpose, in hopes I could get some established in my pasture. Like some of my clovers, its barely hanging on.

oh, and yes, plenty sprout wheetgrass - but its not particularly valuable nutritionally, so the economics are questionable.
Okay, great thank you!! 😊

I give my chickens weeds from the garden and kitchen scraps on a regular basis. I sprout seeds in the winter when I don't have anything green and am jealous of @U_Stormcrow in zone 8. :)

Barley sprouted very well for me, and the chickens loved it, roots and all. I have some alfalfa seed left over from planting a cover crop, so they'll be getting that this winter.

Here's an entire thread about sprouting greens for fodder. It's an interesting read.
backyardchickens.com/threads/guess-what-season-it-is-in-the-northern-hemisphere-its-fodder-season-🍀.1429474/#post-23549565

I give my chickens weeds from the garden and kitchen scraps on a regular basis. I sprout seeds in the winter when I don't have anything green and am jealous of @U_Stormcrow in zone 8. :)

Barley sprouted very well for me, and the chickens loved it, roots and all. I have some alfalfa seed left over from planting a cover crop, so they'll be getting that this winter.

Here's an entire thread about sprouting greens for fodder. It's an interesting read.
backyardchickens.com/threads/guess-what-season-it-is-in-the-northern-hemisphere-its-fodder-season-🍀.1429474/#post-23549565
Okay, thank you so much!!

I'm about to walk out in the rain with a shovel and start breaking up more clay soils. I have extra gloves and shovels, @Sally PB . Promise you a chicken dinner, *if* you come help???

;p

Back
Top Bottom