do you supplement your show birds???

Wendy'sChicksRock

Songster
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Oakland county ,MI
I'm new to this and was just wondering if anyone has their birds on any type of supplements? We show horses and they all get supplements for coat,hoof and so on.Do they make something for chickens to add shine and fullness and just improve the health and look of show birds?
Any info would be great..Thanxs
Wendy

TSC has a poultry conditioner by pro mana, i just started my showbirds on it. The breeder that i got my OEGB from said to feed them a basic sunflower bird seed as well as a high protein food to keep them conditioned. But if you do give seed it's essential the birds have grit too!

thank's for the tips. We wont be showing untill next summer so I have plenty of time. I did buy some BOS and they seem to like it. We get our feed from a local feed place. They make their own and say it has all the grit and oyster shells they need right in it. Its a layer mash with 18% protien. All the locals from the poultry club/4-H say if they take their birds off the feed and switch to stuff from TSC they start laying a lot less. Its only 20 bucks for 100 lbs.. Sound right to you guys or should I add some vit's to the water??

Wendy'sChicksRock :

thank's for the tips. We wont be showing untill next summer so I have plenty of time. I did buy some BOS and they seem to like it. We get our feed from a local feed place. They make their own and say it has all the grit and oyster shells they need right in it. Its a layer mash with 18% protien. All the locals from the poultry club/4-H say if they take their birds off the feed and switch to stuff from TSC they start laying a lot less. Its only 20 bucks for 100 lbs.. Sound right to you guys or should I add some vit's to the water??

Ok, we feed ours Purina Layena year-round. A few months before a show we'll add BOSS, kitten food, and gamebird feed with the Layena. We don't completely stop feeding the Layena. Around here a 50 lb bag of Layena is about $12. Vitamins and Electrolytes can be given 2-3 days before a show to make them "show" more for the judge - it generally makes them more alert and have more energy.​

Back
Top Bottom