Do You Think Diapering Chickens Is Crazy?

If I thought for one minute that my hubby would let my white rock hen stay inside all the time I would be getting some diapers for her. She has been inside for a little over 2 weeks now & is healthy enough to go back outside but I am having so much fun with her being inside I just keep putting it off. I never would have guessed how much fun this could be. When I am home we do this
wee.gif

Spoiled bird doesn't begin to cover it!
roll.png

He has his special spot on the back of the couch that he goes to, right in front of the wall length mirror (to admire himself?). He has a towel there and never fails to roost there. Even when the TV is going and the light is on, he'll put his head under his wing and sleep. He also has his spot where his food and water are, and makes a beeline to them when I put him in the front door.

Tell me this brat isn't living good!

SarahBuddy.jpg

That is spoiled, but I can't say anything I have two diapered chickens in the house. One is a frizzle and one is a silkie. They are so sweet. They came in sick, and stayed. The daipers made it easy to convince my husband to let them stay. NO diapering chickens is not crazy. No crazier than any other bird. Tell your parents to check out this site, there are lots of us here with diapered chickens.
Gail

haha yay I got more replies:D

cute chicken BTW Blisschick

I almosttt convinced my parents before by showing them the site...maybe I should try again. heheheh

I reallly want a silky tho..it's very hard to find a silky around here..only hatcheries have them..andd theres NOO way im keeping 25 minumum chickens in my house. HAHAHHA

I even think 2 is hard enough.
tongue.png

and I don't know if co-ops around here still carry chicks...and if they do..I hear the chicks are bad quality..and I would really much prefer a silky that represents the breed well. hahah I'm very picky
roll.png

Speedy ( hatched in our class and named by my second graders) lived in my classroom until she was expelled from school at about 2 months old. We had a large, homemade wire cage for her to stay in. The wire at the bottom allowed the poos to go through to newspaper on the floor. A lot of times she just ran around my room, usually following me. My students became great at cleaning up chicken poop.

She came to live with me full time when she was expelled from school. While it was cold weather, she stayed in the house. Our floors are hard and easy to clean, but all that cleaning does get old.

Now that it's warm, Speedy has been moved to the garage and the car has moved outside. The garage has made a great chicken coop for a city chick. When we're home, we open the back garage door and let her have several hours in the yard. I sweep the garage out daily. I bought a diaper to use when she comes in the house. We are still perfecting our technique...Sometimes it's just easier to clean the floor.

My Silkie spends her days in a dog cage in my office and her evenings and weekends in a lovely purple floral diaper. At first my DH thought I was nuts but now I find him talking to her while she walks around clucking. Of course it is interesting when the parents of my daughters friends stop by.

Get a diaper!

I kept two injured Silkie hens in the house for two months with just paper on the wood floor and some cardboard boxes for them to feel enclosed. They were great, except for the room it took up. We had no dog, then. We were home most of the time.

I kept rabbits out on my balcony when I lived in a no pets apartment years ago.

City chickens are becoming a big thing! Check out chicken tractors. Some are commercial and built for small spaces.

I would suggest, also, checking out smaller breeds than Silkies unless you have your heart set on the fluff ball. I love my Belgian Quail and they are cute and small. Seremas are even smaller, but pricey for a chicken.

If you are going to have only one or two birds, make sure they are hand raised, preferably by you...but then you won't know if they are he or she's when you get them.

Ps There are predators in the city, so protect the girls, if you get them!

Sorry this doesn't answer your question.

* Miss Chook is inside overnight. She has a heavy wire basket with a roost added to one side. I line the basket well and as long as she doesn't turn around her butt is over the basket and the poo falls right on the liner. I put it in the compost the next day.

Back
Top Bottom